Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intensity pattern of the emitted light

1. Jul 14, 2012 #1
    Hi

I am looking at a bunch of atoms in a homogeneous magnetic field, irridiated by a monochromatic EM wave. I am trying to figure out how to intensity pattern of the emitted light by the atoms looks.

Case 1) I have attached a picture of the situation called "case_1.jpg". It is very clear that only π-transitions are being driven, i.e. Δm=0 transitions.

Case 2) I have attached a picture of the situation again. The quantization axis points along the magnetic field, but the polarization is orthogonal to it. So somehow I need to decompose the polarization into something in the same plane as the B-field. How can I do that?

I would be very happy to recieve some feedback.

Best,
    Niles.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2012 #2
    Ah, ok. I think I figured it out entirely by myself. I can of course always decompose it into circularly polarized light along k. So they will drive the Δm=+1 and Δm=-1 transition. But then what happens when B is perpendicular to both k and E? Then my "trick" doesn't work anymore.

Best,
    Niles.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  4. Jul 14, 2012 #3
    Maybe that is a forbidden transition.
    Or maybe you better look at quadropole moments, or magnetic dipole moments.
    I thought that the m=0 transition is dipole forbidden, anyway.

5. Jul 14, 2012 #4
    I'm pretty sure having E perp. to k perp. to B will still yield a signal. I just don't see how I can ever decompose E into something along B, but I know it is possible.

6. Jul 17, 2012 #5
    You can still decompose the linear polarization into two circular ones. What changes wrt case_1 is the relative phase between the two circular waves.

Therefore you should get the same spectrum as in case_1, i.e. delta-m=0.

7. Jul 18, 2012 #6
    Hi

Thanks for replying! However I have to disagree. So B is perp. to k, which is perp. to E: If the electron is oscillating circularly along B, then looking "edge on", it looks linear. And it is exactly this motion that the E-field excites. So the transitions being driven are delta-m = +/- 1.

Does this sound reasonable to you?

8. Jul 21, 2012 #7
    When I find a moment I will work this out in detail.

You can write the dipole operator ε.r as Ʃ_m |r| ε_m Y_1,m
    where m=-1,0,1 and Y_1,m is a spherical harmonic.

The matrix element then reduces to an amplitude prefactor and some
    Clebsch-Gordans. If you know the initial and final angular momenta
    this is easy to write down exactly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook