Can the Quantization Axis of an Atom Affect its Spectral Emission?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of an atom with a J=0 level and J'=1 level when exposed to a linearly polarized laser. It is suggested that changing the direction of the B-field will result in Zeeman broadening and the need to use the optical Bloch equations to find the spectrum. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using the density matrix to find the emission spectrum for each transition. The answer to question 1 is confirmed to be correct and it is suggested to sum the spectra of different atoms to find the absorbed intensity. Finally, it is recommended to calculate the spectra for m'=+ and - and then sum them.
Niles
Hi

Please see the attached picture. It shows an atom, the filled black circle, which consists of a J=0 level (with m=0 sublevel) and J'=1 (with m' = +/- 1 sublevels). From the left is a nearly monochromatic laser impinging on the atom, which is linearly polarized along the same direction of the applied B-field. This situation will drive the Δm=0 transition, thus displaying a Lorentzian spectrum with FWHM given by the lifetime of the excited state (as a function of frequency).

My question is, what will happen if the direction of the B-field is changed with 90 degrees, i.e. it is now parallel with k? This of course changes the quantization axis.

My own suggestion is that I can always decompose the incoming linearly polarized light into two circularly polarized components of opposite helicity that drive the Δm = +/-1 transitions. But they will - contrary to the first situation - be Zeeman broadened.

1) Is my reasoning correct?
2) Say I want to model the spectrum numerically using a collection of atoms. Would it simply just be to take the spectrum for the Δm=-1 transition and add it to the spectrum for the Δm=+1 transition?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Niles.

Attachments

• atom.bmp
    248.1 KB · Views: 668
Physics news on Phys.org
Do I have to use the density matrix to find the emission spectrum for each transition?

OK, I have thought this over. First of all, I know my suggestion in the first post is correct. So the answer to question 1 is "yes".

Now comes the task of question 2, namely to find the Zeeman-splitted spectrums for the different transitions (p- and s-polarized light). I am thinking about using the optical Bloch equations, but I am not quite sure how to get the spectrum from these.

Have anybody done something similar before?

1) yes, you are correct. Actually, if the magnetic field is strong enough you should see 2 lines corresponding to m'=-1,1. To the best of my knowledge the m'=0 transition is forbidden in this case.

2) The absorption of different atoms should be incoherent, i.e. you just sum over the spectra of the different atoms.

One way of looking at the Maxwell-Bloch equations is to find the equilibrium densities as function of detuning.

You should be able to work out the emitted intensity as function of detuning from the population of the excited state and the time constant of the exponential decay. I would just calculate the spectra for m'=+ and -, and then sum them.

What is the quantization axis of an atom?

The quantization axis of an atom is an imaginary line that runs through the center of an atom and is used to describe the orientation of its electrons and their energy levels.

Why is the quantization axis important in atomic physics?

The quantization axis is important because it helps us understand how electrons behave in an atom and how they interact with each other. It also plays a crucial role in determining the energy levels and properties of atoms.

How is the quantization axis determined?

The quantization axis is determined by the orientation of the magnetic field in which the atom is placed. The axis is chosen to be parallel to the direction of the magnetic field.

Can the quantization axis of an atom change?

Yes, the quantization axis of an atom can change if the external magnetic field is altered. This can affect the electron energy levels and cause changes in the atom's behavior.

What are some applications of understanding the quantization axis of an atom?

Understanding the quantization axis of an atom is important in various fields such as quantum computing, spectroscopy, and nuclear magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It also helps in studying the properties and behavior of materials at the atomic level.