Interactions between a dipole and a point charge

In summary, when dealing with a dipole and a point charge, if the distance from the charges in the dipole is greater than the distance from the center of the dipole to the charge, the approximate expression for the electric field along the dipole axis can be used. However, if the distance is less than the separation between the dipole charges, the dipole approximation becomes inaccurate and the individual electric fields of the charges must be considered. To find the electric field, you can use E=τ/(psin(θ)) where p=qd is the dipole moment and θ is the angle between the electric field lines and the imaginary line between the dipole charges. In some cases, such as when x or z is
bumdass
After solving a homework problem, I realized I don't know what to do when there's a dipole and a point charge but the distance from the charges in the dipole is greater than the distance from the center of the dipole to the charge. As my homework problem stated, with a little context added, "Assume that x [the distance from a point charge to the center of a dipole] is much larger than the separation d between the charges in the dipole, so that the approximate expression for the electric field along the dipole axis can be used."

But what if x was less than d? Now, how would one go about finding the electric field? If you're given the magnitude of the torque (τ), the dipole moment, and the angle (θ) that the electric field lines make with the imaginary line between the point charges of the dipole, then I believe E=τ/(psin(θ)), but is that correct?

Furthermore, how would I find p to plug into the above equation? My prof explained that p=qd, but would d be the distance between the two point charges of the dipole? Also, what if you didn't even have τ or θ? My professor showed us something like this, but I believe he said it only works when x or z is much less than d (i.e. the dipole's point charges are much closer together than the dipole is from the other point charge)

Any links or explanations would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are too close to the two charges, you have to treat them as such, because the dipole approximation becomes inaccurate. If it's a static problem you can just use their electric field
$$\vec{E}(\vec{x})=\frac{q_1 (\vec{x}-\vec{x}_1)}{4 \pi |\vec{x}-\vec{x}_1|^3} + \frac{q_2 (\vec{x}-\vec{x}_2)}{4 \pi |\vec{x}-\vec{x}_2|^3}.$$

What is a dipole?

A dipole is a molecule or object that has a separation of positive and negative charges, creating a dipole moment. This occurs when there is an unequal distribution of electrons within the molecule or object.

What is a point charge?

A point charge is a theoretical concept in which a charge is concentrated at a single point in space. It is often used to simplify calculations in electrostatics.

How do a dipole and a point charge interact?

A dipole and a point charge interact through electrostatic forces. The positive end of the dipole is attracted to the negative charge of the point charge, while the negative end of the dipole is repelled by the negative charge. This results in a net force and torque on the dipole.

What is the strength of the interaction between a dipole and a point charge?

The strength of the interaction between a dipole and a point charge depends on the distance between the two, the magnitude of the charges, and the orientation of the dipole. The closer the charges are and the larger their magnitudes, the stronger the interaction will be.

Can a dipole and a point charge cancel each other out?

Yes, it is possible for a dipole and a point charge to cancel each other out. This can occur when the dipole and the point charge have equal and opposite charges and are located at specific distances from each other. In this case, the electric field created by the dipole is equal and opposite to the electric field created by the point charge, resulting in a net electric field of zero.