Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Interactive Minkowski Diagram Tool

1. Mar 26, 2017 #1
    I've made a Interative Minkowski Diagram Tool,
    divykjain.github.io/IMD

You can add events, connect events and add world lines. Lorentz transformation for moving frames also present.

I've added support for frame velocities equal or greater than light speeds(but the animations are a mess for ftl speeds)

Please do check it out!
    Comments (about bugs, feature requests, physics, graphics) are welcomed!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Quite nice. I noticed you used P5.js as the basis for your application.

Is this the javascript mode for Processing? or did you use something else to create it?

4. Mar 27, 2017 #3

jedishrfu

One interesting feature you could consider is some animation for the twin paradox and other similar problems.

One might select the paradox and in the case of the twin paradox, enter the speed of the twin's spaceship. In your diagram you could shows its track with markers for the time so that someone could see why the spaceship twin's clock is running slower than the stationary twin.

5. Mar 27, 2017 #4
    Yes, for more information on p5.js you can refer to p5js.org/

To see the clocks one can refer to the hyperbolic(space-time) contours, the events lying on the same contours have experienced the same amount of proper time.
    But still I'll try to add a feature that makes it easier to see that!

6. Mar 27, 2017 #5

jedishrfu

I was thinking of a kind of light trail:

1. t0 lights
    2. t1 then t1' lights a little behind t1
    3. and at the end t10 and t8' light up end of trip

It would show the time going slower on the spaceship and the fact that the spaceship twin has aged less and is thus younger than his/her stationary earth twin.

Thanks for the p5js.org reference. I think the P5JS folks may have broken away from Processing to develop their version as it used to be a part of the Processing modes selection.

But it definitely looks nice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted