Interchanging between real part of cmplx exp and trig functions

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the real and imaginary parts of a sum using Euler's formula. However, the student can't seem to find a way to turn the real and imaginary parts into the coefficients of the sum.
N00813

Homework Statement

Given u(x,t) = sum( e^(-at/2)*cos(n*pi*x/2L) * Re[A_n*e^(i*w_n*t)+B_n*e^(-i*w_n*t)], and the boundary conditions u(-L)=u(L)=0 for all t;
du/dt = 0 for all x at t = 0;
u(x,t=0) = e^(-|x|/l)

Find A_n and B_n.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to turn the Real part into coefficients of cos and sin, i.e.:
Re[A_n*e^(i*w_n*t)+B_n*e^(-i*w_n*t)] = C_n cos(w_n*t) + D_n sin (w_n*t)
then taking advantage of cos orthogonality in x to get C and D.

I can't think of how to turn C and D into A and B. So far I figured out that C is the real part of A+B, but I can't figure out how to get the imaginary parts of A and B from C and D.

I'm sure it's simple, but I just can't seem to get it.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
N00813 said:

Homework Statement

Given u(x,t) = sum( e^(-at/2)*cos(n*pi*x/2L) * Re[A_n*e^(i*w_n*t)+B_n*e^(-i*w_n*t)], and the boundary conditions u(-L)=u(L)=0 for all t;
du/dt = 0 for all x at t = 0;
u(x,t=0) = e^(-|x|/l)

Find A_n and B_n.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to turn the Real part into coefficients of cos and sin, i.e.:
Re[A_n*e^(i*w_n*t)+B_n*e^(-i*w_n*t)] = C_n cos(w_n*t) + D_n sin (w_n*t)
then taking advantage of cos orthogonality in x to get C and D.

I can't think of how to turn C and D into A and B. So far I figured out that C is the real part of A+B, but I can't figure out how to get the imaginary part.

I'm sure it's simple, but I just can't seem to get it.

Any help is appreciated.

I don't think you need orthogonality or anything special. Just use Euler's formula. e^(i*w_n*t)=cos(w_n*t)+i*sin(w_n*t) and e^(-i*w_n*t)=cos(w_n*t)-i*sin(w_n*t). It's just D is the real part of i*A-i*B, isn't it?

Dick said:
I don't think you need orthogonality or anything special. Just use Euler's formula. e^(i*w_n*t)=cos(w_n*t)+i*sin(w_n*t) and e^(-i*w_n*t)=cos(w_n*t)-i*sin(w_n*t). It's just D is the real part of i*A-i*B, isn't it?

Yes, it is.
Maybe I've gone down the wrong way.

The question tells me to find A and B.

Using the non-zero initial condition given, I can find Re [A_n + B_n]. Using the zero initial condition (du/dt = 0 @ t = 0) I can find (a/2)*Re[A_n + B_n] = Re [iw_n (A_n - B_n)].

But I can't think of how to turn that into A_n and B_n by themselves.

Dick said:

Hey, just had a thought:
If C = Re[A+B]
and D = Re[i(A-B)]

Then is D/i = Re[A-B]

and C + D/i Re [2A]?

This way I can find the real parts of A and B.

For the imaginary, I was thinking iC = I am [ -B -A] , D = I am [ -A + B].

Is this correct?

You lost me as soon as you failed to close the parentheses of sum(. Then I lost interest when you failed to show ANY indication of what is being summed over.

Last edited by a moderator:
N00813 said:
Hey, just had a thought:
If C = Re[A+B]
and D = Re[i(A-B)]

Then is D/i = Re[A-B]

and C + D/i Re [2A]?

This way I can find the real parts of A and B.

For the imaginary, I was thinking iC = I am [ -B -A] , D = I am [ -A + B].

Is this correct?

You are thinking about it too hard. You can't really 'solve' for A and B given C and D. There are lots of choices that work. Like A=C/2+iD/2 and B=C/2-iD/2. Or A=(C/2+1)+iD/2 and B=(C/2-1)+iD/2. And many others.

Dick said:
You are thinking about it too hard. You can't really 'solve' for A and B given C and D. There are lots of choices that work. Like A=C/2+iD/2 and B=C/2-iD/2. Or A=(C/2+1)+iD/2 and B=(C/2-1)+iD/2. And many others.

OK.

Let's say I start again with the question. I find the expression for Re[A + B] and the expression for Re[iw_n*A-iw_n*B]. From this, you're saying it's impossible to get A and B uniquely?

N00813 said:
OK.

Let's say I start again with the question. I find the expression for Re[A + B] and the expression for Re[iw_n*A-iw_n*B]. From this, you're saying it's impossible to get A and B uniquely?

Of course it is. I already gave you two choices that work. Taking the real part of something cancels some components. Your right side has two real parameters. The left side has two complex parameters which is the same as four real parameters. You can't determine them all. Write out A=Re(A)+i*Im(A) and B=Re(B)+iIm(b) and see how many you can determine.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
Of course it is. I already gave you two choices that work. Taking the real part of something cancels some components. Your right side has two real parameters. The left side has two complex parameters which is the same as four real parameters. You can't determine them all. Write out A=Re(A)+i*Im(A) and B=Re(B)+iIm(b) and see how many you can determine.

Thanks. I suppose the question itself has holes in it.

1. How do I convert a complex exponential function into a trigonometric function?

To convert a complex exponential function into a trigonometric function, you can use Euler's formula, which states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x). This allows you to express a complex exponential function in terms of trigonometric functions.

2. Can I interchange between the real part of a complex exponential function and a trigonometric function?

Yes, you can interchange between the real part of a complex exponential function and a trigonometric function. This is possible because the real part of a complex exponential function is equivalent to the cosine function, while the imaginary part is equivalent to the sine function.

3. How can I use trigonometric functions to simplify complex exponential expressions?

You can use the identities and properties of trigonometric functions to simplify complex exponential expressions. For example, you can use the double angle formula or the sum and difference formulas to simplify the expression.

4. Are there any advantages to using complex exponential functions over trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are several advantages to using complex exponential functions over trigonometric functions. Complex exponential functions can be easier to manipulate algebraically, and they are often used in applications involving oscillations and waves.

5. Can I use complex exponential functions and trigonometric functions interchangeably in all situations?

No, complex exponential functions and trigonometric functions cannot be used interchangeably in all situations. They have different properties and behaviors, and it is important to understand the specific context and application before deciding which one to use.