Interested in doing thesis in subject not directly being researched at school

In summary, a student should speak with their advisor to see if their research work will count towards their degree.
ballistikk
I did a search but didn't see a thread related to this query, so here goes (and forgive me if this is an utterly idiotic question). I'm in a Physics Masters program (first semester) and before recently I didn't have a concrete idea of the research I wanted to pursue. After months of investigating, I'm really interested in Quantum Information (specifically related to Quantum Computing), but I don't think any of the groups at my school are directly related to my interests. I'll have a talk with my graduate adviser Monday, but I'm wondering if you guys have had any experience in a situation like this. Do grad schools allow students to actively and somewhat independently pursue research in areas that might not be directly related to research being done there, or am I in a situation where I need to just join a group that's still somewhat interesting to me and worry about QIP at another university if I go for my PhD? Or can the answer be somewhere in the middle, where I'll be allowed to find a way to apply QIP to the research that's already being done?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do whatever you like. However, if you want your research work to count towards your degree, then you need to have the approval of your advisor. That's it. It is that simple.

If you go off on your own research work, with no approval and no supervisor, then you receive zero credit towards your graduation, and no one will approve that your research work will count towards your graduate degree.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You can do whatever you like. However, if you want your research work to count towards your degree, then you need to have the approval of your advisor. That's it. It is that simple.

If you go off on your own research work, with no approval and no supervisor, then you receive zero credit towards your graduation, and no one will approve that your research work will count towards your graduate degree.

Zz.

Okay, thanks a bunch. I had a feeling I was overthinking the situation and missing the forest for the trees. I'll talk to my advisor and see if I should be concerned with rounding out an advisory committee.

FAQ: Interested in doing thesis in subject not directly being researched at school

1. What does it mean to do a thesis in a subject that is not directly being researched at school?

Doing a thesis in a subject that is not directly being researched at school means choosing a topic for your thesis that is not a main focus of your school's research programs. This could involve exploring a new or emerging area of study, or conducting research in a subject that is outside of your school's traditional research areas.

2. Why would someone want to do a thesis in a subject that is not directly being researched at school?

There are a few reasons someone might choose to do a thesis in a subject that is not directly being researched at school. It could be a personal interest or passion, a desire to explore a new field, or the opportunity to work with a specific advisor who specializes in that subject.

3. How do I find a supervisor for a thesis in a subject not directly being researched at school?

The best way to find a supervisor for a thesis in a subject not directly being researched at school is to do some research on potential advisors and reach out to them directly. Look for professors who have published work in your desired subject area and contact them to express your interest in working with them.

4. Will I have access to resources and support for my thesis in a subject not directly being researched at school?

Yes, you should have access to resources and support for your thesis, even if it is not a main focus of your school's research. You may need to be proactive in seeking out resources and reaching out to faculty for support, but your school should still provide access to necessary materials and guidance.

5. What are the potential challenges of doing a thesis in a subject not directly being researched at school?

There are a few potential challenges to consider when doing a thesis in a subject not directly being researched at school. You may need to do more independent research and be more self-motivated, as there may be fewer faculty members with expertise in your subject. Additionally, you may face challenges in finding funding or resources specific to your subject, but with determination and resourcefulness, these challenges can be overcome.