1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interested in majoring in Electrical Engineering -- Questions

1. Jul 14, 2016 #1
    Hello, I am interested in majoring in electrical engineering. I enjoy learning about electricity and magnetism and I also wish to learn more about solar power. Throughout my life I have never taken any Calculus or anything above (just pretty much stayed in the Algebra realm). For me, concepts are not THAT hard to learn... however, the math does get me and I have to apply a lot more effort. It is easier though if I am able to apply the math in something that I am interested in.

I was looking at the degree requirements for "Materials Science/Electrical Engineering Emphasis" and saw that I would have to take "Calculus with Analytic Geometry I". That being said, what are some good books or sources that I can learn the mathematics needed to major in an electrical engineering field. I would preferably not like to spend $100 on a school textbook until I actually have to take the class.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Take your pick here . Guidance here

4. Jul 16, 2016 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can find all sorts of intro calculus material for free on the internet.

Paul's Online Math Notes gives a good intro to basic calculus and more advanced topics:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

You can find copies of older math texts at the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/texts

There's quite a lot of material there, so you'll get good at searching for what you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted