Interesting Aerodynamics Research topics

In summary, a high school student is seeking suggestions for a research topic in the field of aerodynamics. They are considering building a DIY wind tunnel and are seeking ideas for experiments or tests that can be conducted with it. Suggestions include measuring the force on different objects with varying parameters, investigating the effects of enclosed drivers on drag for F1 racing cars, and using flow visualization techniques. Resources and instructions for building a flow visualization wind tunnel are also provided.
Skatelenneke
Hi everyone, first off i'd like to thank you all for maintaining this awesome forum, seems really cool :D

I wasn't sure whether this should be in the homework forums or not, but since I'm not asking for any solution of some sorts, i decided to post here.

I'm a senior high school student, and in order to graduate we have to make a research paper.
The paper is something we have to work on all year long, and should be a genuine 'scientific' research.
Since I'm interested in physics i chose this domain for my research, but now i still have to find a good subject. :)
The subject should be formulated as a research question.

I was thinking somewhere around aerodynamics, more specifically i'd like to build a small (non-perfect) wind tunnel.
However i don't really know what to 'research' once i would have built such a thing, so that's why i decided to post here. :)
What researches, tests or experiments could one do with a DIY windtunnel?
Any other fun suggestions, aerodynamics or not, are welcome as well. :)
Thanks in advance :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Measure the force on different objects with different shapes/sizes/materials/wind speeds/air temperature/whatever?
You'll probably see the usual relations for air resistance as function of those parameters, and maybe some deviations which you can analyse.

Sounds like what you need is a problem...

The rules for F1 racing cars may soon be changed to allow enclosed drivers for safety reasons. Perhaps investigate if that will increase or reduce drag by testing models. Perhaps not of the whole car!

Skatelenneke, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Google is your friend. I used these search terms in Google : “flow visualization techniques in wind tunnels" and found lots of information related to wind tunnels.

First, you may want to start here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_tunnel

Then, this looks interesting (to me, anyway):
“Step-by-step instructions (1.64 MB pdf file) for building the flow visualization wind tunnel are available from this web page, by clicking on the yellow button:
It requires moderate shop skills with hand tools, but less than $100 worth of materials to build the tunnel. Photographs detail the construction process. The tunnel can be used as part of a science fair project, or used to study how air flows past a variety of models. “
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/tunsmoke.html

One more site that may be useful:
“Beginner's Guide to Aerodynamics
How do airplanes work? Why does a wing change shape on takeoff and landing? This site was built for middle school to college students.”
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/index.html

Once you make some plans for your project, do come back here to PF and post any questions or doubts you may have. Here our members are ready and able to help anyone who is interested in learning science and is a true searcher.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Some interesting aerodynamics research topics could include:

1. The effect of wing shape on lift and drag: You could design and test different wing shapes in your DIY wind tunnel to see how they perform in terms of lift and drag. This could also involve exploring the concept of laminar and turbulent flow over the wing.

2. Investigating the Bernoulli principle: You could use your DIY wind tunnel to explore the relationship between air speed and pressure, and how it relates to the Bernoulli principle. This could involve varying the air speed and measuring the corresponding changes in pressure.

3. The impact of surface roughness on aerodynamic performance: You could investigate how different levels of surface roughness on an airfoil or other aerodynamic shape affect its performance. This could also involve exploring different methods of reducing surface roughness, such as adding a smooth coating.

4. The effect of angle of attack on lift and drag: You could use your DIY wind tunnel to study how changing the angle of attack (the angle between the wing and the oncoming air) affects lift and drag. This could involve testing different angles and measuring the corresponding changes in lift and drag forces.

5. Investigating the concept of boundary layer separation: You could use your DIY wind tunnel to study how the air flow separates from the surface of an airfoil at different angles of attack and air speeds. This could also involve exploring methods of reducing or delaying boundary layer separation.

6. The impact of wing sweep on aerodynamic performance: You could design and test different wing sweep angles in your DIY wind tunnel to see how they affect lift and drag. This could also involve exploring the concept of supersonic flow and its effects on wing sweep.

7. Investigating the effects of winglets on aerodynamic performance: You could test the impact of winglets (small vertical extensions at the end of wings) on reducing drag and increasing lift in your DIY wind tunnel. This could also involve exploring different shapes and sizes of winglets.

Remember, these are just some suggestions and you can always come up with your own unique research question based on your interests and resources. Good luck with your research paper!

1. What are some current trends in aerodynamics research?

Some current trends in aerodynamics research include the use of advanced computational methods, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, to optimize aircraft design and reduce drag. Other popular topics include the study of unconventional aircraft configurations, such as blended wing bodies and supersonic/hypersonic flight, and the development of sustainable and environmentally friendly aircraft.

2. How does aerodynamics research contribute to the aviation industry?

Aerodynamics research plays a crucial role in the aviation industry by helping to improve the efficiency, safety, and performance of aircraft. This includes reducing fuel consumption, enhancing maneuverability, and minimizing noise and emissions. Aerodynamics research also helps to develop new and innovative aircraft designs and technologies, ultimately driving progress and advancement in the aviation industry.

3. What are some challenges in aerodynamics research?

Some challenges in aerodynamics research include the complexity of airflow and its interactions with aircraft surfaces, the need for high-fidelity and accurate simulations, and the limitations of current experimental and computational methods. Additionally, the development of new and unconventional aircraft configurations presents unique challenges in terms of design and testing.

4. How does aerodynamics research impact other fields?

Aerodynamics research has a significant impact on various fields, including aeronautical engineering, aerospace technology, and even meteorology. The principles and techniques used in aerodynamics research can also be applied to other areas, such as automotive design, wind energy, and sports equipment design. Additionally, advancements in aerodynamics research have the potential to improve air transportation and contribute to global sustainability efforts.

5. What are some potential future directions for aerodynamics research?

Some potential future directions for aerodynamics research include the exploration of new and emerging technologies, such as electric and autonomous aircraft, and the use of advanced materials and manufacturing techniques. There is also a growing interest in developing more efficient and environmentally friendly propulsion systems and investigating the effects of climate change on aerodynamics. Additionally, further advancements in computational methods and technologies are expected to drive progress in aerodynamics research in the coming years.