1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting integration problem

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the given integral, both A and B are constants.

2. Relevant equations

∫{[A+(1/x²-Bx)]^1/2}dx

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I have solved the problem by expanding the root and considering the first two terms only,
    but it gives a very crude approximation of the required result.
    Anyone having any ideas or comments, please do reply.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2
    Is this a problem in a homework or something? I can't see how to do it. Was it a definite or indefinite integral? If definite, can you do something numerical?

4. Apr 3, 2012 #3
    Well actually it is sort of a homework problem and unfortunately, it is indefinite. I am looking for a numerical solution by defining the limits. It would be very helpful if you could give me a good algorithm for the numerical integration.

Thank you!

5. Apr 3, 2012 #4
    Well, for an algorithm, just google Simpson's Rule. (Try the 3/8 one first).

But, I don't really see how this will help if the integral is indefinite. What you really need is an anti-derivative and I just don't think that a non-really-complicated one exists.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook