Interesting physics experiment

In summary, the speaker is struggling to come up with a topic for their 3500-4000 word essay in classical physics. They have suggested ideas such as studying the height at which a marble must be dropped to go through a loop-the-loop and the force needed to knock an asteroid out of orbit, but their teacher has deemed them too simple. They are seeking suggestions for fresh research areas and mention the topics they will be covering in grade 12 physics. They note that not all of the subjects will be suitable for a feasible experiment, such as nuclear physics.
gokuls
So I need to come up with an experiment to do a 3500-4000 word essay. The types of topics I'm interested in are satellites, planetary orbits, etc. I guess mainly classical physics.

Some topic ideas I came up with are:
1. At what height do you have to drop a marble so that it goes through a loop-the-loop. Unfortunately, my teacher said it was too simple and the physics we'll learn in grade 12.

2. Another idea was, what force would be needed to knock an asteroid coming towards Earth out of orbit. Again, my teacher said it might be a bit simple.

I need some topic suggestions or general comments on some fresh research areas.

If it's useful, I've finished grade 11 and will be doing 12 physics when I write this essay.

Physics news on Phys.org
What topics will you be doing in grade 12?

The grade 12 subjects are mechanics (kinematics, forces, work, energy, uniform circular motion), thermal physics, oscillations and waves, electric currents, forces and fields, atomic and nuclear physics, energy and power, motion in fields (projectile motion, gravitational field, potential and energy, electric field, orbital motion), wave phenomena (standing waves, Doppler effect, diffraction, resolution, polarization), electromagnetic induction, quantum physics and nuclear physics.

Obviously, not all the subjects are applicable to do an feasible experiment on, example: nuclear physics.

1. How do you determine the validity of a physics experiment?

The validity of a physics experiment is determined by its ability to produce consistent and replicable results. This can be achieved through careful control of variables, use of proper equipment and techniques, and thorough analysis of data.

2. What makes a physics experiment interesting?

An interesting physics experiment is one that addresses a significant question or problem in the field, utilizes innovative methods or technology, and yields unexpected or groundbreaking results.

3. How do you ensure the safety of participants in a physics experiment?

The safety of participants in a physics experiment is ensured through thorough risk assessment, proper training and supervision, and adherence to safety protocols and regulations. It is also important to obtain informed consent from participants and minimize potential hazards as much as possible.

4. Can physics experiments be conducted without a laboratory setting?

While the laboratory setting is often preferred for conducting physics experiments due to its controlled environment and availability of specialized equipment, many experiments can be conducted outside of a lab using everyday materials. However, these experiments may be limited in terms of precision and accuracy.

5. How are the results of physics experiments analyzed and interpreted?

The results of physics experiments are analyzed and interpreted using mathematical and statistical methods, as well as theoretical frameworks and models. The data collected is compared to expected outcomes and any discrepancies are carefully examined and explained through scientific reasoning.