1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting physics topic for a presentation

1. May 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    HI! I'm in need of some help to come with an interesting physics-related topic for a short, five-minute presentation. We'll be graded by our ability to speak well rather than our physics knowledge, so I want to talk about something simple, straight-to-the-point and not too much technical (no quantum-related topics!).

My initial thought was to talk about evolution of timekeeping devices, but then I thought it is too dense of a topic and more related to History than Physics.

Anyway, some insights about a cool topic would be greatly appreciated!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What level in shool are you now? What physics and math classes have you taken so far?

I think your initial idea is quite good. Yes, there is some hitory involved, but modern timekeeping issues like atomic clocks and clock corrections for GPS satellites are fascinating topics, and could really finish off your presentation with a bang.

4. May 17, 2017 #3
    Is it for a language class rather than physics class ? Isn't it weird that you will be graded on language skills in physics class ?

5. May 17, 2017 #4
    It is a class called "Physics Seminars". It's trivial and it's just to help with our orality. Also, it's a short presentation so extensive physics knowledge isn't necessarily required (although we obviously have to know what we're talking about).

I don't think I would be able to talk about that in five minutes, though...

6. May 17, 2017 #5

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you watched any YouTube videos on science and Physics? I would check out Veritasium and PhysicsGirl. Don't plagerize them, but get some ideas of how they present. I think many of them are 8 minutes or less, if I recall. Also in the Numberphile videos, search for Tadashi's toys for some interesting ones. At least I think - he has more applied mathematics, so there is some Physics involved in many of his (like the climbing paperclips and the spinning tube).

7. May 17, 2017 #6
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will go take a look.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted