Interesting plot of an implicit equation with square root of signum functions

In summary, Two individuals have discovered and discussed a Batman graph and equation. The equation contains signum functions and square roots of negative numbers, which raises concerns about its validity. However, when used in Python code, the equation still produces a plot. The reason for this discrepancy is attributed to the range of variables and the possibility of the equation not being a function.
Micko
Hello,

recently, I have found so called Batman graph and equation, which basically plots Batman sign.

I have even found Python code that plots this implicit equation.
Code can be found here:

And the equation is given here:
[url]http://i.imgur.com/CNy9J.jpg

If you look closelx, you'll see that there are a lot of signum functions and for many numbers that belongs to the graph, there is square root of negative number which is not defined in real number space.
This is a warning sign that equation is not good.
But somehow, if you use this equation it still plots OK.

I cannot explained this. Can you help me understand this?

Python plot just discard nonsence and doesn't plot (naturally) complex numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably easy to explain if we saw the equations. Firstly the range of the variables have to be taken into account and secondly, some curves are no functions, so it looks as if e.g. ##y^2=x## is used instead of ##y=\sqrt{x}## which would be only one branch.

1. What is an implicit equation?

An implicit equation is a mathematical equation that defines a relationship between two or more variables without explicitly stating one variable in terms of the others. This means that the equation cannot be easily solved for one variable, and instead, it defines a curve or surface in a multi-dimensional space.

2. What is the significance of a square root in an implicit equation?

The square root function is a mathematical operation that calculates the number which, when multiplied by itself, gives the input number. In an implicit equation, the square root may be used to define a curve or surface with a specific shape or behavior.

3. How do signum functions affect an implicit equation?

A signum function, also known as the sign function, returns the sign of a number (-1, 0, or 1) indicating whether the number is negative, zero, or positive. In an implicit equation, signum functions may be used to define certain regions of the curve or surface.

4. Can an implicit equation with square root and signum functions have real solutions?

It is possible for an implicit equation with square root and signum functions to have real solutions, but it depends on the specific equation. Some equations may have only complex solutions, while others may have both real and complex solutions.

5. How do scientists use implicit equations with square root and signum functions?

Scientists may use implicit equations with square root and signum functions to model and describe various phenomena in their fields of study. For example, in physics, these equations can be used to describe the behavior of waves or particles, while in biology, they can be used to model growth or population dynamics. They can also be used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.