1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting question about gravitational attraction,accleration and time of collision

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There Are two bodies with mases M1 and M2 placed in space separated by a distance D. They attract each other due to gravitational forces and hence acclerate towards each other.The problem is to Find out the time taken before their collision?

2. Relevant equations
    I know that, the acceleration is provided by the gravitational force so,
    a=G*M/x^2 for each body where M is the other body's mass and x is the distance from other body at that instant.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I am hopless at attemting a solution.
    Had my equation of accelartion, dependent on time (like a = Kt^2 + Ct ... etc) I could integrate with respect to time and find instanteneus velocity with respect to time. Then I could Integrate V.dt for a certain time to get distance, and etc. But here acceleration varies with distance,
    I tried to convert dt to dx but failed.
    So, please Help

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook