Interesting science books for young people?

• Thread starter faraday96
  • Start date
Does anyone know of any books that will get younger people (teens/pre-teens) interested in physics (or science in general)? Maybe something like Feynman's 'Six Easy Pieces'?

Answers and Replies

The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean is pretty fun

I cant think of any at the moment but I can tell you one thing I found incredibly fascinating as a child were videos of the shuttle launch, fighter jets, and slo-motion videos of explosions; with books explaining how those things worked. Hahaha...

The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean is pretty fun
I can vouch for the author, although I read Sam Kean's book about genetics. It's definitely interesting, and would appeal to teens/pre-teens.

If you were looking for anything younger than that, I know that during my childhood I loved to read National Geographic books about volcanoes and stuff like that.

Maybe "Conceptual Physics" would be something for you? Look it up!

Try "Thinking Physics" by Epstein.

It consists of many short and easy to understand topics, each with a multiple choice quiz. I think this is a better introduction to physics for young people than reading a thick book from cover to cover - it makes it clear that physics is not a "spectator sport", but is much more fun if you try to solve some problems on your own.

Plus it has some nice cartoons.

Thanks! Also, has anyone read any of Asimov's books? Would these be a good starting place?