1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting science books for young people?

1. Aug 11, 2012 #1
    Does anyone know of any books that will get younger people (teens/pre-teens) interested in physics (or science in general)? Maybe something like Feynman's 'Six Easy Pieces'?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2012 #2
    The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean is pretty fun

4. Aug 11, 2012 #3
    I cant think of any at the moment but I can tell you one thing I found incredibly fascinating as a child were videos of the shuttle launch, fighter jets, and slo-motion videos of explosions; with books explaining how those things worked. Hahaha...

5. Aug 12, 2012 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Aug 12, 2012 #5
    I can vouch for the author, although I read Sam Kean's book about genetics. It's definitely interesting, and would appeal to teens/pre-teens.

If you were looking for anything younger than that, I know that during my childhood I loved to read National Geographic books about volcanoes and stuff like that.

7. Aug 12, 2012 #6
    Maybe "Conceptual Physics" would be something for you? Look it up!

8. Aug 12, 2012 #7
    Try "Thinking Physics" by Epstein.

It consists of many short and easy to understand topics, each with a multiple choice quiz. I think this is a better introduction to physics for young people than reading a thick book from cover to cover - it makes it clear that physics is not a "spectator sport", but is much more fun if you try to solve some problems on your own.

Plus it has some nice cartoons.

9. Aug 12, 2012 #8
    Thanks! Also, has anyone read any of Asimov's books? Would these be a good starting place?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook