1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interior points of the closure of A

1. Oct 18, 2011 #1
    Is it true?
    " Set of interior points of the closure of A equals the set of interior points of A. "

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What did you try already???

Maybe you can start by taking A open. Then your statement says that A equal the interior of the closure of A. Try it with some easy/less easy examples of open sets first.

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3
    I want to prove this theorem:
    " Let U be an open subset of a metric space X,and A be an arbitrary subset of X. Prove that the intersection of U and closure of A is empty if and only if the intersection of U and A be empty. "
    I've proved one direction of this theorem:

If the intersection of U and closure of A is empty then the intersection of U and A is empty too.
    The closure of A is equal to the union of A and the set of all limit points(accumulation points) of A. Then we can use this definition of the closure of A. then after substitution, we have:
    [ intersection of A and U ] U [intersection of U and the set of limit points of A] = empty set
    so it says that both the sets [ intersection of A and U ] and [intersection of U and the set of limit points of A] should be empty.

5. Oct 18, 2011 #4
    But I don't know how to prove the opposite direction of this question.
    I have tried:

using contradiction, it means the intersection of U and cl(A) is not empty.

6. Oct 18, 2011 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This can be made easier. Just use that [itex]A\subseteq \overline{A}[/itex].

For the other direction, use the definition of closure. And use that A is an open set that doesn't intersect U.

7. Oct 18, 2011 #6
    Then the intersection of set of interior points of U (that equals to U, since U is open) and set of interior points of A equals to the set of interior points of the intersection of (U and A). And the set of interior points of (U and cl(A) ) equals to intersection of U and the set of interior points of cl(A) that is not empty. can I use:
    " Set of interior points of the closure of A equals the set of interior points of A. "
    to show the contradiction?

8. Oct 18, 2011 #7
    sorry!
    what is?
    " Just use that [itex]A\subseteq \overline{A}[/itex]. "

9. Oct 18, 2011 #8
    oh! at first it was typed with vague characters! but now it is in correct form

10. Oct 18, 2011 #9
    Thank you very much!!for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook