1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermediate E&M. Electric Field above a square

1. Sep 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Imagine a square in the xy plane with each side of length a. It has a uniform charger per unit area (σ). The center of that square is at the origin. Determine the electric field at a distance z above the center.

2. Relevant equations

E=k integral{(sigma/r^2) * r * dA}

3. The attempt at a solution
    I realize that all components should cancel except for that in the Z direction. I also tried to use the equation above and integrate from -a/2 to a/2. However as I proceeded, I started to get a bit confused with the integral. I am not even sure if I started it correctly, much less the integral. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2010 #2
    dont forget that you only want the component in the z direction

4. Sep 4, 2010 #3
    Right, so I have to factor in a cos component?

5. Sep 5, 2010 #4
    you dont know the angle. you only know the slope

6. Sep 5, 2010 #5
    Wouldn't the slope be Z/X? Also would you use the value of r = sqrt(z^2 + x^2)?

This is where I think I am having the most trouble.

7. Sep 5, 2010 #6
    yes slope is Z/X
    I havent though it all out but I dont think you even need to know r
    you just need to know what you need to multiply r by to get z

is this homework?

8. Sep 5, 2010 #7
    That's why I was wondering about the cos(theta). I know we don't have the angle, but couldn't it also be equal to R/Z?

And kind of. It's a problem that isn't necessarily graded, but one that we should do.

9. Sep 5, 2010 #8
    Ok I am not making much progress on this. I have been working on it, but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook