Intermediate E&M. Electric Field above a square

In summary, the problem asks for the electric field at a distance z above the center of a square in the xy plane with each side of length a and a uniform charge per unit area (σ). The equation for electric field is E=k integral{(sigma/r^2) * r * dA} and in this case, all components except for the component in the z direction should cancel out. The slope of the electric field can be found using the equation Z/X and it is not necessary to know the value of r. The angle is not given but it can be assumed to be equal to R/Z. However, the person is having trouble solving the problem and is seeking for help.
maherelharake

Homework Statement

Imagine a square in the xy plane with each side of length a. It has a uniform charger per unit area (σ). The center of that square is at the origin. Determine the electric field at a distance z above the center.

Homework Equations

E=k integral{(sigma/r^2) * r * dA}

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that all components should cancel except for that in the Z direction. I also tried to use the equation above and integrate from -a/2 to a/2. However as I proceeded, I started to get a bit confused with the integral. I am not even sure if I started it correctly, much less the integral. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
dont forget that you only want the component in the z direction

Right, so I have to factor in a cos component?

you don't know the angle. you only know the slope

Wouldn't the slope be Z/X? Also would you use the value of r = sqrt(z^2 + x^2)?

This is where I think I am having the most trouble.

yes slope is Z/X
I haven't though it all out but I don't think you even need to know r
you just need to know what you need to multiply r by to get z

is this homework?

That's why I was wondering about the cos(theta). I know we don't have the angle, but couldn't it also be equal to R/Z?

And kind of. It's a problem that isn't necessarily graded, but one that we should do.

Ok I am not making much progress on this. I have been working on it, but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is the formula for electric field above a square?

The formula for electric field above a square is given by E = k * Q / r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the square, and r is the distance between the square and the point where electric field is being measured.

2. How is the electric field above a square affected by the size of the square?

The size of the square does not directly affect the electric field above it. However, the charge on the square and the distance between the square and the point where electric field is being measured will affect the electric field.

3. Does the orientation of the square affect the electric field above it?

Yes, the orientation of the square does affect the electric field above it. The electric field will be stronger if the square is oriented with one of its sides parallel to the direction of the electric field, and weaker if the square is oriented perpendicular to the electric field.

4. Can the electric field above a square be negative?

Yes, the electric field above a square can be negative. This indicates that the electric field is directed in the opposite direction of the positive charges on the square.

5. How is the electric field above a square calculated for non-uniform charge distribution?

The electric field above a square with non-uniform charge distribution can be calculated by dividing the square into smaller sections with uniform charge density and then using the superposition principle to find the total electric field at a point above the square.