Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 9/14/2017

• Challenge
  • Thread starter PF PotW Robot
  • Start date
I think that a small (but important) idea is missing in your proof. First of all, I will use the notation ##F(a,b)## instead of ##F_b(a)##. There is a small detail that you are missing in your proof. You need to prove that ##F(a,x) \le F(a,y)## for all ##x \ge y##, where ##a > 0## is a given constant. This follows from the same argument that you gave but for the inequality (just replace ##b## by ##y## in your calculations and all the others will work just fine). The argument is as follows:Fix ##a > 0## and let ##x \ge y
PF PotW Robot
Here is this week's intermediate math problem of the week. We have several members who will check solutions, but we also welcome the community in general to step in. We also encourage finding different methods to the solution. If one has been found, see if there is another way. Occasionally there will be prizes for extraordinary or clever methods.

Let ##f : [a,\infty)\to \Bbb R## be a continuous function that satisfies the inequality ##\displaystyle f(x) \le A + B\int_a^x f(t)\, dt##, where ##A## and ##B## are constants with ##B < 0##. If ##\displaystyle \int_a^\infty f(x)\, dx## exists, show that ##\displaystyle \int_a^\infty f(x)\, dx \le -A/B##.

(PotW thanks to our friends at http://www.mathhelpboards.com/)

Likes ISamson, S.G. Janssens, I like Serena and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
My first instinct would be to simply take the limit as ##x\to\infty## of both sides of the inequality, on the assumption that if
$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \int_{a}^{x} f(t)dt$$
exists, then ##\lim_{x\to\infty}f(x) = 0##. But once upon a time, @micromass taught me about functions like ##f(x) = x^2 e^{-x^8\sin^2x}##, so I'm not sure that will work.

Edit: for folks who want to see what trickery is at work with this function:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+x^2e^{-x^8\sin^2(20x)}+from+0+to+3
The spikes get taller, thinner, and further apart as ##x\to\infty##. This means that the function is integrable all the way out to infinity, even though ##\lim_{x\to\infty} f(x)## doesn't exist.

Likes Ackbach
TeethWhitener said:
My first instinct would be to simply take the limit as ##x\to\infty## of both sides of the inequality, on the assumption that if
$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \int_{a}^{x} f(t)dt$$
exists, then ##\lim_{x\to\infty}f(x) = 0##. But once upon a time, @micromass taught me about functions like ##f(x) = x^2 e^{-x^8\sin^2x}##, so I'm not sure that will work.

This is Ackbach on Math Help Boards, and I'm the Director for the Undergraduate POTW there ( = Intermediate PotW here on PF).

That approach is not going to work, I agree. It's the first thought that occurred to me!

Alright, here's what I have so far.
Let
$$\int_{a}^{x} f(t)dt = F(x)$$
It follows that ##F'(x) = f(x)##. The inequality becomes (with some rearrangement)
$$F'(x) - BF(x) - A \leq 0$$
In the case where the equality holds, we can solve the resulting differential equation to get:
$$F_{eq}(x) = -\frac{A}{B} + ce^{Bx}$$
We note that ##\lim_{x\to\infty} F_{eq}(x) = -A/B##, or in other words:
$$\int_a^\infty f(x)\, dx = -\frac{A}{B}$$
In the case where the equality doesn't hold, we have
$$F'(x) - BF(x) - A = -\alpha$$
where ##\alpha > 0##.
All this does is change the solution of the differential equation to
$$F(x) = -\frac{A-\alpha}{B} + ce^{Bx}$$
Taking the limit as ##x\to\infty## gives
$$\int_a^\infty f(x)\, dx = -\frac{A-\alpha}{B}$$
Since ##B<0##, we have that
$$-\frac{A-\alpha}{B}<-\frac{A}{B}$$
or, combining the previous two results:
$$\int_a^\infty f(x)\, dx < -\frac{A}{B}$$
when the equality doesn't hold. Combining the two cases (##\alpha = 0## and ##\alpha \neq 0##) gives us the desired result:
$$\int_a^\infty f(x)\, dx \leq -\frac{A}{B}$$

Last edited:
Likes Ackbach and Greg Bernhardt
Nice problem.
Write ##F(x) := \int_a^x{f(t)\,dt}##. In these terms, it was given that
$$
f(x) \le A + B F(x), \qquad \forall\,x \ge a.
$$
Integrate both sides from ##a## to ##b > a## and divide by ##b - a## to find
$$
\frac{F(b)}{b - a} \le A + \frac{B}{b - a}\int_a^b{F(x)\,dx}. \qquad (\ast)
$$
Since it was given that ##F(\infty) := \lim_{b \to \infty}{F(b)}## exists, it follows that
$$
\frac{1}{b - a}\int_a^b{F(x)\,dx} \to F(\infty), \qquad \text{as } b \to \infty
$$
and we have from ##(\ast)## that
$$
0 \le A + B F(\infty),
$$
and, using that ##B < 0##, this yields ##F(\infty) \le \tfrac{A}{-B}##.
(I don't want to enter any competition.)

Likes Ackbach, Charles Link and Greg Bernhardt
TeethWhitener said:
Alright, here's what I have so far.
Let
$$\int_{a}^{x} f(t)dt = F(x)$$
It follows that ##F'(x) = f(x)##. The inequality becomes (with some rearrangement)
$$F'(x) - BF(x) - A \leq 0$$
In the case where the equality holds, we can solve the resulting differential equation to get:
$$F_{eq}(x) = -\frac{A}{B} + ce^{Bx}$$
We note that ##\lim_{x\to\infty} F_{eq}(x) = -A/B##, or in other words:
$$\int_a^\infty f(x)\, dx = -\frac{A}{B}$$
In the case where the equality doesn't hold, we have
$$F'(x) - BF(x) - A = -\alpha$$
where ##\alpha > 0##.
How do you know that ##\alpha## doesn't depend on ##x##? If it does, solving the DE would be impossible, because you wouldn't know the exact nature of the dependence. I'm not sure this approach works, either, I'm afraid.

Krylov said:
Nice problem.
Write ##F(x) := \int_a^x{f(t)\,dt}##. In these terms, it was given that
$$
f(x) \le A + B F(x), \qquad \forall\,x \ge a.
$$
Integrate both sides from ##a## to ##b > a## and divide by ##b - a## to find
$$
\frac{F(b)}{b - a} \le A + \frac{B}{b - a}\int_a^b{F(x)\,dx}. \qquad (\ast)
$$
Since it was given that ##F(\infty) := \lim_{b \to \infty}{F(b)}## exists, it follows that
$$
\frac{1}{b - a}\int_a^b{F(x)\,dx} \to F(\infty), \qquad \text{as } b \to \infty
$$
Why must that be? This step could use a bit more justification, I think.

For what it's worth, I have posted one correct solution on MHB.
http://mathhelpboards.com/potw-university-students-34/problem-week-280-sep-12-2017-a-22306.html
Here's another:
By Gronwall's inequality,
$$f(x)\le A\cdot \exp\left(\int_a^x B \, dt\right) = A \, e^{B(x-a)}.$$
Integrating both sides yields
$$\int_a^{\infty}f(x) \, dx \le \int_a^{\infty}A \, e^{B(x-a)} \, dx = -\frac{A}{B}$$
by the integral inequality. The result follows.

Ackbach said:
How do you know that ##\alpha## doesn't depend on ##x##? If it does, solving the DE would be impossible, because you wouldn't know the exact nature of the dependence. I'm not sure this approach works, either, I'm afraid.
I don't think this is true.
Say ##\alpha = \alpha(x)##. Then you have the inhomogeneous equation:
$$F'(x)-BF(x) = A-\alpha(x)$$
where ##\alpha(x) > 0## everywhere. This is solved with an integrating factor to give:
$$F(x)=-\frac{A}{B} + ce^{Bx}-e^{Bx}\int^x e^{-Bt}\alpha(t)dt$$
But since ##\alpha(t)## and ##e^{whatever}## are both positive everywhere within the domain of integration, the integral always subtracts a positive number from ##-\frac{A}{B}##. So it's always less than ##-\frac{A}{B}##, which is the desired result.

Last edited:
Likes Ackbach
TeethWhitener said:
I don't think this is true.
Say ##\alpha = \alpha(x)##. Then you have the inhomogeneous equation:
$$F'(x)-BF(x) = A-\alpha(x)$$
where ##\alpha(x) > 0## everywhere. This is solved with an integrating factor to give:
$$F(x)=-\frac{A}{B} + ce^{Bx}-e^{Bx}\int^x e^{-Bt}\alpha(t)dt$$
But since ##\alpha(t)## and ##e^{whatever}## are both positive everywhere within the domain of integration, the integral always subtracts a positive number from ##-\frac{A}{B}##. So it's always less than ##-\frac{A}{B}##, which is the desired result.

Fair enough! I'd accept this solution as correct.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and TeethWhitener
Ackbach said:
Fair enough! I'd accept this solution as correct.
:smile: One other thing: In post #9, ##\alpha(x) >0## should be ##\alpha(x) \geq 0##. But this doesn't change the conclusions.

Likes Ackbach
TeethWhitener said:
:smile: One other thing: In post #9, ##\alpha(x) >0## should be ##\alpha(x) \geq 0##. But this doesn't change the conclusions.
I'd agree. By the way, your approach in Post # 2 can be modified (as Opalg did in the posted solution on MHB) if you construct a clever subsequence ##\{x_n\}## such that ##\{f(x_n)\}\to 0##.

Ackbach said:
Why must that be? This step could use a bit more justification, I think.
It is because ordinary convergence of the improper integral (i.e. existence of ##\lim_{b \to \infty}{F(b)}## in ##\mathbb{R}##) implies convergence (to the same limit) of the Cesàro means. As I do not have a reference for this ready at hand, here is an argument for the present context:
Let arbitrary ##\epsilon > 0## be given and let ##x_{\epsilon} > 0## be such that ##|F(x) - F(\infty)| \le \tfrac{\epsilon}{3}## for all ##x \ge x_{\epsilon}##. Then, for ##b \gt x_{\epsilon}##,
$$
\left|\frac{1}{b - a}\int_a^b{F(x)\,dx} - F(\infty)\right| \le \left|\frac{1}{b - a}\int_a^{x_{\epsilon}}{F(x)\,dx}\right| + \left|\frac{1}{b - a}\int_{x_{\epsilon}}^b{F(x)\,dx} - F(\infty) \right|. \qquad (\dagger)
$$
The first term in the RHS can be made less than ##\tfrac{\epsilon}{3}## by choosing ##b## sufficiently large. The second term equals
$$
\left|\frac{1}{b - a}\int_{x_{\epsilon}}^b{(F(x) - F(\infty))\,dx} - \frac{x_{\epsilon} - a}{b - a}F(\infty)\right| \le \frac{\epsilon}{3} + \left|\frac{x_{\epsilon} - a}{b - a}F(\infty)\right| \le \frac{\epsilon}{3} + \frac{\epsilon}{3},
$$
by choosing ##b## possibly even larger. In summary, by choosing ##b## large enough, one guarantees that the LHS of ##(\dagger)## does not exceed ##\tfrac{\epsilon}{3} + \tfrac{\epsilon}{3} + \tfrac{\epsilon}{3} = \epsilon##.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Ackbach
Ackbach said:
Here's another:
By Gronwall's inequality,
$$f(x)\le A\cdot \exp\left(\int_a^x B \, dt\right) = A \, e^{B(x-a)}.$$
Integrating both sides yields
$$\int_a^{\infty}f(x) \, dx \le \int_a^{\infty}A \, e^{B(x-a)} \, dx = -\frac{A}{B}$$
by the integral inequality. The result follows.
In the problem it was assumed that ##B < 0##, so I cannot see how Gronwall applies here. For example, let ##a = 1## and ##f : [a,\infty) \to \mathbb{R}## be given by ##f(x) = \tfrac{1}{x^2}##. Then
$$
A + B \int_a^x{f(t)\,dt} = A + \frac{B}{a} - \frac{B}{x} \ge A + \frac{B}{a} = 1 \ge f(x), \qquad \forall\,x \ge a,
$$
if we choose ##A = 2## and ##B = -1##. Moreover, the improper integral of ##f## exists. However, ##A e^{B(x - a)} = 2 e^{-(x - 1)}## for ##x \ge a## so
$$
f(x) > Ae^{B(x - a)}
$$
for ##x## large enough.

Likes TeethWhitener and Ackbach
Krylov said:
In the problem it was assumed that ##B < 0##, so I cannot see how Gronwall applies here.

Hmm, you may be right. Looking into it...

Likes S.G. Janssens
You are correct that we can't use Gronwall directly. So my "solution" above is completely bogus. However, the proof method used for Gronwall can be adapted for this problem. Here's a note from my colleague Euge at MHB:

Set ##\displaystyle g(x) = \int_a^x f(t)\, dt##, and note ##g## satisfies the differential inequality ##g' - Bg \le A##, ##g(a) = 0##. Multiply the inequality by ##e^{-Bx}## to obtain ##\dfrac{d}{dx}(e^{-Bx}g) \le Ae^{-Bx}##, then integrate both sides from ##x = a## to ##x = s## (where ##s## is a fixed number ##> a##) to get ##e^{-Bs}g(s) \le -\dfrac{A}{B}(e^{-Bs} - e^{-Ba})##. Thus ##g(s) \le -\frac{A}{B}(1 - e^{B(s-a)})##. Now let ##s \to \infty## to obtain the result.

Likes S.G. Janssens

1. What is the "Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 9/14/2017"?

The "Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 9/14/2017" is a math problem that was posted on a specific date (September 14, 2017) as part of a weekly series. It is an intermediate level problem, meaning it is not too easy or too difficult.

2. Where can I find the "Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 9/14/2017"?

The problem can be found on various websites or social media pages that host the weekly series. It may also be posted on a bulletin board or announced in a math class or club.

3. What is the purpose of the "Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 9/14/2017"?

The purpose of the problem is to challenge and engage individuals in solving a math problem, while also promoting critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. How difficult is the "Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 9/14/2017"?

As an intermediate level problem, it may be challenging for some individuals, but not too difficult for others. It is designed to be solvable with basic math knowledge and skills, but may require some creative thinking.

5. Are there any rewards for solving the "Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 9/14/2017"?

This may vary depending on where the problem is posted. Some websites or social media pages may offer virtual rewards or recognition for solving the problem. In a math class or club, there may be a small prize or recognition for the first person to solve the problem correctly.