1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermediate-value theorem (approximation) ?

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    intermediate-value theorem (approximation) !?!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the Intermediate-Value Theorem to show that there is a right circular cylinder of height h and radius less than r, whose volume is equal to that of a right circular cone of height h and radius r.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]V_{cylinder}=\pi r^2 h [/tex]

[tex]V_{cone}=1/3 \pi r^2 h[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is my assumption:

Since the radius r of the basis of the cone is greater than the radius r1 of the cylinder, we can write the formulas as follows:

[tex]V_{cylinder}=\pi r_{1}^2 h , r_1 < r[/tex]

[tex]V_{cone}=1/3 \pi r^2 h[/tex]

Now, because we need to find r1 so that [itex]V_{cylinder}=V_{cone}[/itex]

[tex]\pi r_{1}^2 h = 1/3 \pi r^2 h [/tex]

So we need to find:

[tex]r_{1}^2 = 1/3 (r^2)[/tex]

or

[tex]r_{1}^2 - (1\sqrt{3})^2r^2=0[/tex]

[tex](r_1 - 1\sqrt{3}r)(r_1 + 1\sqrt{3}r)=0[/tex]

We need to find [itex]r_1 - 1\sqrt{3}r=0[/itex] or [itex]r_1 + 1\sqrt{3}r=0[/itex]

Now I've found that [itex]r_1 = \pm 1\sqrt{3}r[/itex]

Now is my goal to prove using the intermediate value theorem that the statement above is true?

Now the length of the radius r1 is between (0,r) because (r1 < r )

(0+r)/2 = r/2

Now the solution is between (r/2,r).

(r/2 + r)/2 = 3r/4

Now the solution is between (r/2,3r/4).

Should I continue doing this until I get close number to [itex]1/\sqrt{3}r[/itex] ??

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2
    Re: intermediate-value theorem (approximation) !?!

Let the volume of the cylinder be denoted

[tex]V \left(r_1\right) = \pi r_1^2h.[/tex]

It's clear that this function is continuous on any closed interval, hence the IVT may be applied. Your goal is to show that there exists some [tex]c[/tex] such that

[tex] V \left(c\right) = \frac{1}{3} \pi r^2 h, [/tex]

with [tex]c<r[/tex]. If you can show that there exists [tex]a [/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] such that

[tex] V \left(a\right) < \frac{1}{3} \pi r^2 h[/tex] and [tex] V \left(b\right) > \frac{1}{3} \pi r^2 h, [/tex]

then the IVT will guarantee the existence of your [tex]c[/tex] value. Then, you must show that [tex]c<r[/tex]. You've already done most of the work already...can you see it? How would you find a suitable [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] value?

EDIT: Also, this is NOT an approximation. The [tex]V\left(c\right)[/tex] value that the IVT will give you is EXACTLY equal to [tex]\frac{1}{3} \pi r^2 h[/tex].

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  4. Nov 2, 2009 #3

But why c < r, is it because r1 < r?

Why I need to show
    [tex]
    V \left(a\right) < \frac{1}{3} \pi r^2 h
    [/tex]
    and [tex]V \left(b\right) > \frac{1}{3} \pi r^2 h[/tex]

?

5. Nov 2, 2009 #4

I suggest you go back and look at the precise statement of the IVT. Here it is from MathWorld (I've modified their variables to fit my hint):

If f is continuous on [a,b], and x is any number between f(a) and f(b) inclusive, then there is at least one number c in the closed interval such that f(c)=x.

Our function is the volume of the cylinder, [tex]V\left(r_1\right)[/tex]. To apply the IVT to this function, we need to make sure the theorem's hypotheses are satisfied. This is a step that many students skip, and to their detriment. Is [tex]V[/tex] continuous? What closed interval is it continuous on?

In terms of how the theorem is stated, we're dealing with [tex]x= \frac{1}{3}\pi r^2 h[/tex]. If you can find a,b such that [tex] V\left(a\right) < x[/tex] and [tex]V\left(b\right) >x[/tex], then the IVT guarantees the existence of c such that [tex]V\left(c\right) = x[/tex]. Can you see that? How do you find a and b?

Once you find c, you must show that [tex]c<r[/tex] because that is a condition stated in the problem.

6. Nov 3, 2009 #5

Thanks. For I moment I missed that part.

V is continuous everywhere because for every number k in the domain the limit:

[tex]\lim_{r_1 \rightarrow k} V(r_1) = V(k)[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{r_1 \rightarrow k} V(r_1)=\lim_{r_1 \rightarrow k} \pi r_{1}^2 h = \pi k^2 h =V(k)[/tex]

Because it is continuous everywhere, we can choose any numbers [a,b].

Because the volume of the cylinder is 3 * V(of cone), I would choose b=r so that V(b)= пb^2h and a=0 so that V(a)=0.

Now I trapped [itex]\frac{1}{3}\pi r^2 h [/itex] between 0 and [itex]\pi r^2 h[/itex].

Is this correct?

7. Nov 4, 2009 #6

Is this better?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook