1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermediate value theorem problem

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    1. How can you prove if F is continuous, then there exists a fixed point of F in [0,1]?

I know F:[0,1] ---> [0,1] an bijective, but what is f(c)=c mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Stuck

Have you tried drawing a picture? It might be enlightening.

4. Nov 23, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it means more or less exactly what it says. There is a c in [0,1] such that F(c)=c. Use the intermediate value theorem. If F is bijective there is an a such that F(a)=0 and a b such that F(b)=1. What happens in between? Apply the IVT to F(x)-x on the interval [a,b].

5. Nov 23, 2008 #4

Does that mean I need to pick a point like .5, which is between [0,1].

Also, would there be any point where F isn't continuous and a fixed point may not exist.

Thanks guys

6. Nov 23, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you really understood what I wrote. As morphism said, draw a picture. Look up the IVT.

7. Nov 24, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you can't "pick" a point. And you are told that the function is continuous. Why are you asking if it isn't?

If F is from [0, 1] what can you say about F(0)? What can you say about F(1)?

What can you say about 0- F(0) and 1- F(1)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?