Internal energy and pv diagrams

In summary, internal energy is the total energy within a system and is directly proportional to temperature. A PV diagram is a helpful tool for understanding the relationship between pressure and volume in a system. The change in internal energy can be calculated by finding the area under the curve on a PV diagram. The first law of thermodynamics applies to internal energy, as it can be transferred but not created or destroyed.
coffeem
[PLAIN]http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/511/pistonquerstion.jpg

This is my part attempt...

[PLAIN]http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/7342/internalenergyanswer.jpg

And ideas on how I can do the rest of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actuall I think I have managed to work outish a). I used the first law of thermodynamics: E = Q + W

then giving that in the question it says: Q(isobarbic)= 200j

So since W = -PdV = -P(Vf-Vi)

I for internal energy of the syster at this point: U = 185j

Am I doing it right?

1. What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the total energy contained within a system. It includes the kinetic energy of the particles and the potential energy stored within the bonds between particles.

2. How is internal energy related to temperature?

Internal energy is directly proportional to temperature. As the temperature of a system increases, so does its internal energy. This is because an increase in temperature causes the particles within the system to move faster, thus increasing their kinetic energy.

3. What is the significance of a PV diagram?

A PV diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume in a system. It is significant because it allows us to visualize and understand the changes in pressure and volume that occur during different processes, such as isothermal, adiabatic, and isobaric processes.

4. How do you calculate the change in internal energy from a PV diagram?

The change in internal energy can be calculated by finding the area under the curve on a PV diagram. This can be done by breaking the area into smaller shapes, such as rectangles or triangles, and using their respective formulas to find their individual areas. The sum of all these areas will give the change in internal energy.

5. How does the first law of thermodynamics apply to internal energy?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This applies to internal energy, as it can be transferred into or out of a system through various processes, but its total amount remains constant.