1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internal Forces on a Truss (Again!)

1. Jul 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, in the attached file shows a picture of the problem I need to resolve. The question asks to calculate the internal force in the member BC. There is a pin support located at joint A and D, which is not shown in my diagram, and it is also symmetrical, which makes things slightly easier.

2. Relevant equations

See attached file.

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the forces in the y direction using the equilibrium equation, and then calculated the angle between member AE and AB using basic trigonometry to be 26.57 degrees. I then resolved the internal forces in members AE and AB. However, I am unable to determine what else I can do with resolving further internal forces in this structure. For all other joints, there are at least 2 unknown forces, for which I am unable to determine any other internal forces. What should be my next approach? Thanks, forum.

Attached Files:

• IMG.pdf
      IMG.pdf
      File size:
      245.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2015 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have an error in getting FAB.
    upload_2015-7-12_20-53-57.png
    You changed the cosine back into the sine .

Also, can you clarify?
    Is member EB perpendicular to member AG ?

4. Jul 12, 2015 #3
    Thank you, silly mistake there. And I'm not entirely sure, the question doesn't specify, but I'm assuming it is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted