Should I consider internal forces for this hinged structure?

In summary, the conversation discusses two situations where a hinged structure is loaded with a 20 N force and the moment equations are determined. The mentor points out that the direction of the force should be considered and suggests using a 0-rod to simplify the second situation. It is determined that internal forces do not need to be considered and a moment equation about point A can be used to calculate the needed force F.
Mech_LS24
Summary:: A hinged structure applied with a load, should the structure totally been calculated in order to find the resultant force?

Hello,

Two situations, the first is a simple structure with a 20 N load at point C. The moment-equation is composed next to it.

Second situation:
A hinged structure is again loaded with 20 N. A moment-equation can also been found next to it.

For both situations,
  • Are the moment-equations correct? Or should I take internal forces also in consideration?
  • Would a 'extra' rod drawn in situation 2 affect the moment-equation?
  • Could situation 2 be simplified? I was thinking about kind of a 0-rod (see sketch). That is in line with the force so it actually does nothing more than passing a force.

1624214599916.jpeg

Mentor note: Moved from engineering forum, so no template.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The momentum equation is fine, but how dit you determine the direction of F? If E is a pin joint, DE will rotate until it is in the line of F.

Same question for situation 2. If F is in the same direction as DE, the new rod has no forces. if E is a pin joint this should happen. If you don't know what α is, you can't solve it.

willem2 said:
The momentum equation is fine, but how dit you determine the direction of F?
I see, I think I made a mistake there. Force F should be vertically down instead, this would make more sense.

willem2 said:
If F is in the same direction as DE, the new rod has no forces. if E is a pin joint this should happen.
This makes sense :). That would make rod AE a 0-rod.

With this information, I think I can say the internal forces doesn't need to be considered. If I want to calculate the needed Force F, I can apply a moment-equation about point A?

1. What are internal forces in a hinged structure?

Internal forces refer to the forces that act within the structure itself, such as tension, compression, and shear. These forces are caused by the external loads on the structure and are essential to consider for stability and structural integrity.

2. Why should I consider internal forces for a hinged structure?

Considering internal forces is crucial for accurately analyzing the stability and strength of a hinged structure. Neglecting these forces can lead to structural failure or instability, which can have serious consequences.

3. How do internal forces affect the design of a hinged structure?

Internal forces play a significant role in determining the size and shape of structural members in a hinged structure. These forces help engineers determine the appropriate materials and dimensions needed to withstand the external loads and maintain stability.

4. Can internal forces change over time in a hinged structure?

Yes, internal forces can change over time in a hinged structure due to various factors such as material degradation, weather conditions, and changes in external loads. It is important to regularly monitor and assess these forces to ensure the structure's safety and stability.

5. How can I calculate internal forces in a hinged structure?

Internal forces can be calculated using structural analysis methods such as the method of joints or the method of sections. These methods involve breaking down the structure into smaller sections and analyzing the forces acting on each section to determine the internal forces.