International textbooks vs us print

In summary: I...would...advise...you...to...buy...your...'reference'...materials...in...hardcover.International editions are generally of lower quality, and while you may save money initially, the quality of the book will likely decrease over time.
Kites
I am one of many poor college students looking to save some money this upcoming academic year and I am thinking of buying international versions of my textbooks. Specifically,

Classical Mechanics by Robert Taylor
Optics by Eugene Hecht

I was wondering if anyone knew in general the differences between international textbooks and their us printed versions. I am hoping to hear some first hand experience of people who've taken this route. It worries me that some of the problems might be different which would be significant in my courses. I appreciate your help! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
In my experience, there is no difference in the content of the international edition and the U.S. edition of any given textbook.

I have used an international edition of Electrodynamics by Griffiths

It was the "Eastern Economy Edition" made for countries like India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, etc.

It was $30 as opposed to $100+ for the US. Edition.

They are generally paperback, bad quality paper, but Perfectly Readable

I did not notice any mistakes, the page numbers were more or less the same, the problems for homework are the exact same. It really is the same book just made in cheap quality to be able to be sold for cheap.

I got it on ebay, there has recently been a flood of people selling these editions for all sorts of school books now on ebay.

I had a good experience with it, it saved me boat loads of money

Are you sure you're allowed? All the textbooks I've had say strictly 'not for sale in the US or Canada.'

Such disclaimers that companies write on their products don't carry any legally weight. Same goes for the EULA on software.

Is the opposite true, that is, can US textbooks be used outside the US?

Half of my texts are international edition..

Griffiths E&M and Quantum, Shankar Quantum, Fowles Mechanics, Arfkan and Boas Math Methods, Thermal Physics, even my university physics.

I have the Hecht Optics too. Its fine, light weight and sane price.

International Edition FTW

Defennder said:

Yes but you have to add the chapters on global warming and evolution yourself.

Last edited:
Likes madscientist_93 and dsatkas
mgb_phys said:
Yes but you have to add he chapters on global warming and evolution yourself.

This put a huge smile on my face.

Well sounds like I know what route I am going to take then with the books. Thanks guys.

Content is identical. The only difference is that international books tend not to be colorful, ie. written in black and white (no deal if US book is b/w). Also, I think the binding is cheaper.

Other than that, you're reading the same book.

Defennder said:
I can't see any textbook publisher objecting to you paying up to ten times more for the same content... :rolleyes:

trinitron said:
Such disclaimers that companies write on their products don't carry any legally weight. Same goes for the EULA on software.
Actually EULA's do carry weight - at the discretion of the seller.

Textbooks are copyrighted material, and foreign publishers selling products in the US or North American would be in violation of copyright/trade law (if textbooks are pirated) or licensing agreements (if their license agreement expressly forbids such activity). Legal action is at the discretion of the seller and authorities.

One can find discounted used books on-line.

Anyway, where do you get these international editions? I am an international student btw.

A good place to look is http://www.abebooks.com" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
One can find discounted used books on-line.

Although be careful when buying used textbooks from online sellers (even the big one!). I actually don't want the international version since I want a textbook that will last and won't disintegrate shortly after the class is over. However, I have been sold international versions by sellers who weren't very clear (I won't guess if intentional or not) on what they were actually offering. The international textbook on mechanics that I accidentally purchased looked like it was printed on tissue paper.

Really? The few international books I have are pretty much phone book quality. Not ideal, but readable - definitely worth it if you want to save hundreds of bucks.

Honestly there is NO DIFFERENCE page for page, problem for problem. In my experience, page 84 in the international edition is page 84 in the US version, but you just saved yourself sometimes over $150! No joke, I did this all through my undergrad physics degree and now into my masters. The only differences I've found is that the cover is different (is soft, with a different logo) and the text can sometimes only be in black&white. Big deal. $150 can feed a college student for weeks.

That being said, I didn't order ALL international copies. I'd advise you to buy your 'reference' materials in hardcover. You don't want to buy your calculus book in softcover, because you'll be using it as a reference for years to come. And do you really want your first quantum mechanics book in softcover? Buy in hardcover what you really think you'll be using for years, otherwise the international version is a great way to save much needed cash. Don't be afraid of international versions- you'll be laughing all the way to the bank! :cool:

Likes CivilSigma

What Are International Textbooks?

International textbooks are educational materials, such as textbooks, workbooks, or learning resources, that are designed and produced for use in educational institutions outside the United States. These textbooks may cover similar subjects and topics as their US counterparts but are often tailored to meet the specific needs and curricula of international schools and educational systems.

What Are US Print Textbooks?

US print textbooks, on the other hand, are educational materials created and published for use within the United States. They are typically aligned with the educational standards and curricula established by US educational authorities, such as state boards of education or the Common Core State Standards. US print textbooks are commonly used in American primary and secondary schools.

What Are the Key Differences Between International Textbooks and US Print Textbooks?

There are several key differences between international textbooks and US print textbooks:

1. Content and Curriculum:

International textbooks may follow different educational standards and curricula, which can vary from country to country. US print textbooks adhere to US-specific educational standards, such as state standards or national frameworks like the Common Core.

2. Language and Terminology:

International textbooks may use different languages and terminology, depending on the country of origin. US print textbooks are primarily written in English and use American English terminology.

3. Cultural References:

International textbooks may include cultural references, examples, and contexts that are specific to the country for which they are designed. US print textbooks often incorporate American cultural references.

4. Pricing and Availability:

International textbooks can vary in price and availability based on the region and publisher. US print textbooks are widely available within the United States and may have more standardized pricing.

Are International Textbooks Suitable for US Students?

International textbooks can be suitable for US students in certain situations, such as in international schools or for students preparing for international exams. However, it's essential to consider the alignment of the textbook's content with US educational standards and curriculum requirements. Some international textbooks may not fully align with the specific content and learning objectives outlined in US print textbooks, making them less suitable for American students in traditional US educational settings.

Where Can International Textbooks be Obtained in the US?

International textbooks can be obtained through various sources, including specialty bookstores, online retailers, and educational suppliers. Some publishers offer international editions of their textbooks that may be available in the US market. Additionally, libraries and educational institutions may have access to international textbooks for specific courses or programs.

What Should US Students and Educators Consider When Choosing Between International and US Print Textbooks?

When choosing between international and US print textbooks, US students and educators should consider factors such as curriculum alignment, language of instruction, cultural relevance, and pricing. It's important to select textbooks that best support the educational objectives and requirements of the specific educational program or course.