UK student looking for internships in US. Recommendations?

In summary, a UK student looking for internships in the US should consider researching the specific requirements and application process for each company or organization they are interested in. It may also be beneficial to reach out to alumni or professionals in their desired field for networking opportunities and potential recommendations. Additionally, considering the cost of living and visa regulations is important in selecting the right internship opportunity. Overall, thorough research and proactive networking can greatly increase the chances of securing a valuable and successful internship experience in the US.
AlexCdeP
Hi all. I recently attended a very inspiring talk given by a company which sponsors European students for a so-called J-1 visa which enables us to apply for maximum 12 months internships in the US. I would be supported the CIEE which means that all of the problems in terms of insurance for foreigners etc are a non issue. The benefit to the company is that I will be part of an international cultural exchange, so there are some tax breaks for US companies. I am going to be a Masters Graduate in Physics as of this July and was wondering whether US students had any recommendations for internships straight out of college. The internship is supposed to be related to my degree discipline which means that I wouldn't have gotten the internship without my degree, so I'm looking for technical roles which involve problem solving.

For an example of what I'm looking for I have applied to a very particular role at Intel, as I have a decent background in semiconductor fabrication. Apart from that I have only applied to software companies as I have reasonable experience with Python and C++ in particular. I want to be realistic here, I probably am not going to get into Intel and as a physicist I don't feel like I am going to beat a comp sci student to the top software internships around San Fransisco! I'm really looking for smallish companies which will allow me to send in a CV and give me some valuable experience for a few months.

In summary, I am not versed in the ways of searching for internships in the US. Is it possible to find the kind of role I'm looking for? What are your internship search experiences? Should I uninspire myself? Literally I am open to almost anything as long I can get valuable experience.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How can I find internships in the US as a UK student?

To find internships in the US as a UK student, you can start by checking with your university's career center or international office for any resources or connections they may have. You can also search for internships on job websites such as Indeed or LinkedIn, or reach out to companies directly to inquire about internships.

2. Are there any specific requirements for UK students to intern in the US?

Yes, there are some requirements that UK students must fulfill in order to intern in the US. These may include obtaining a J-1 visa, which is a non-immigrant visa for individuals participating in work-and-study based exchange visitor programs. You may also need to provide proof of enrollment in a UK university and demonstrate your financial ability to support yourself during the internship.

3. How competitive is it for UK students to secure internships in the US?

The competitiveness of securing internships in the US as a UK student may vary depending on the industry and company. However, it is generally considered to be quite competitive, as there are often a limited number of internships available and many international students vying for them. It is important to start your search early and have a strong application to increase your chances of success.

4. What are some recommended companies for UK students to intern at in the US?

Some recommended companies for UK students to intern at in the US include large multinational corporations, as they often have established internship programs for international students. You can also consider smaller companies or startups, as they may be more open to hiring international interns. Additionally, reach out to companies in your field of interest and inquire about potential internship opportunities.

5. How can I make the most out of my internship experience in the US as a UK student?

To make the most out of your internship experience in the US as a UK student, it is important to have a positive attitude, be open to learning and adapting to a new culture, and actively participate in your internship tasks and projects. This will not only help you make valuable connections and gain relevant experience, but also make a good impression and potentially lead to future job opportunities.