Solve Z Parameter Questions: 2-Port Network w/ R Load

• Thread starter Xyius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parameter
In summary, the homework problem is to find the input impedance of a 2-port terminated with load impedance. The first step is to find the term in the equation for V_2 that corresponds to the resistance across the terminals for V_1. This is done by following the circuit and solving for the term. Next, the input impedance is found using the relation between v1 and v2. Finally, the load resistor is found using the relation between Z and R.
Xyius
I am having some issues with this problem I am doing. I will show what I have done so far and where I am getting confused.

1. Homework Statement

The 2-port shown in Figure 2 is characterized by its Z-parameters, where ##Z_{11}=Z_{12}=Z_{21}=Z_{22}=R##. Find the input impedance ##Z_{in}##. Express your result in terms of ##R## only. Hint: The input impedance of a 2-port terminated with load impedance ##Z_L## is ##Z_{in}=Z_{11}-\frac{Z_{12}Z_{21}}{Z_{22}+Z_L}##

H1.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]V_1=Z_{11}I_1+Z_{12}I_2[/tex]
[tex]V_1=Z_{21}I_1+Z_{22}I_2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So the first thing I notice is that this is two 2-port networks in series which is then terminated by a load resistor ##R## on the RHS. The top one I will call ##A##, and the bottom one I will call ##B##. Therefore the Z matrix is simply the sum of the two matrices from each 2-port network.

[tex]Z=\left( \begin{array}{c,c} R+Z^B_{11} & R+Z^B_{12} \\ R+Z^B_{21} & R+Z^B_{22} \end{array} \right)[/tex]

If I find this matrix, I can easily plug in the values to find ##Z_{in}##. So first I would like to find the first element in the matrix. I can do this by setting ##I_2=0##. In order to do this, the right hand side must be turned into an open circuit. Using the first equation in section 2 above gives me,

[tex]Z_{11}^B=\frac{V_1}{I_1}-R[/tex]

This is where I am not sure. So I need to determine the term ##\frac{V_1}{I_1}##, which I know is just equal to the resistance across the terminals for ##V_1##. So if I follow the circuit starting from the top left, it goes through the first 2-port, and then through the second 2-port. Is the contribution from the first 2-port just ##Z_{11}^A##? If so, then ##\frac{V_1}{I_1}=R+R## meaning ##Z_{11}^B=R## which makes perfect sense.

Likewise, the same can be done for ##Z_{22}## and I get ##Z_{22}^B=R##.

I am confused about ##Z_{21}## and ##Z_{12}##. In general, I do not know what these terms mean physically which makes it hard for me to know what to do mathematically. If I can get these two terms then I can solve the problem. I know that..

[tex]Z_{21}^B=\frac{V_2}{I_1}-R[/tex]
and
[tex]Z_{12}^B=\frac{V_1}{I_2}-R[/tex]

But I do not know where to go from here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rude man said:
If by Zin is meant a floating input voltage source V divided by the current thru the floating voltage source, this circuit does not compute.

I don't know what you mean. The circuit must be valid since this is my homework problem and not a trick question. Is this issue a simple assumption could fix?

At any rate, I believe I can write ##V_2## in terms of ##I_1## to have some cancelation, but I haven't tried to work out the details yet. Too late in the evening!

Oops, I redrew the circuit wrong.
I din't go the two 2-port network route.
Call the low side of input and output of the 2-port ground (zero volts).
Call the floating input voltage source V.
Then, use the relation between v1 and v2 to simplify the usual two equations relating v1 and v2 to i1 and i2.
Then, find equations relating V, v1 and i1; also V to i2. It helps to redraw the circuit, but don't goof like I did ...
Finally, Zin = V/i1.
I have to say I don't see any help in the given hint. Maybe with the 2-network approach. Let me know what you got & we can compare.

Okay so in order to get an expression for ##Z^B_{21}## I choose to let ##I_2=0##. To do this, the circuit must be open at the output of the two 2-port networks. I then get (as before)

[tex]Z_{21}^B=\frac{V_2}{I_1}-R[/tex]

So now I need to find ##V_2##. This is where I am having confusion but I believe I may be on the right track.

Since this is a series connection of two 2-port networks, we have ##V_2=V_2^A+V_2^B##. ##V_2^A## is the voltage across the two terminals on the RHS of 2-port A and ##V_2^B## is the voltage across the two terminals on the RHS of 2-port B. Both of these I believe are simply ##I_1 R## because the top voltage ##V_2^A## is the voltage across both terminals on the RHS, which corresponds to ##Z_{22}^A=R##, and the bottom voltage ##V_2^B## is simply the voltage across the resistor ##R##. This gives me the following.
[tex]V_2=V_2^A+V_2^B=I_1R+I_1R=2I_1R[/tex]
[tex]Z_{21}=\frac{V_2}{I_1}-R=\frac{2I_1R}{I_1}-R=R[/tex]

In the same manner, ##Z_{12}## would also be equal to ##R##.

Thus, the Z matrix for the resistor is equal to ##R## for each element in the matrix, same as the first and the total Z matrix is simply 2R for each element. Which means this problem is nothing more than 2 resistors in series (very cool!).

So now for the load resistor. I think the hint may be there so I can use what I have found and simply plug it in as follows.

[tex]Z_{11}=Z_{12}=Z_{21}=Z_{22}=2R[/tex]
[tex]Z_{in}=2R-\frac{(2R)(2R)}{2R+2R}=2R-\frac{4R^2}{4R}=2R-R=R[/tex]

I am not sure if this makes sense though.

OK as I said I didn't go the two-network route. I combined one-network equations with KVL/KCL. I didn't get Zin = R; mine was < R. But tell you what, I will look at it the way you did & see howa two-network approach goes. Stay tuned, I just got up.

Likes Xyius
rude man said:
OK as I said I didn't go the two-network route. I combined one-network equations with KVL/KCL. I didn't get Zin = R; mine was < R. But tell you what, I will look at it the way you did & see howa two-network approach goes. Stay tuned, I just got up.
Thanks I appreciate it!

I'm having a rough time redrawing the circuit as two 2-port networks. Could you draw something up showing that configuration?
Otherwise I suggest looking again at my post # 3. It was really pretty straightforward.

rude man said:
I'm having a rough time redrawing the circuit as two 2-port networks. Could you draw something up showing that configuration?
Otherwise I suggest looking again at my post # 3. It was really pretty straightforward.

This is how I drew it. Excuse the crudeness.

H3.jpg

This configuration looks identical to what is in the book for a series of 2-port networks. I will go through it again to double check my work.

OK, I think that looks good. I suggest:
1. combine your two 2-port Z networks into one; then
2. use the hint for a loaded Z network.

I did it that way & got the same answer as before, halleluia!

Likes Xyius
rude man said:
OK, I think that looks good. I suggest:
1. combine your two 2-port Z networks into one; then
2. use the hint for a loaded Z network.

I did it that way & got the same answer as before, halleluia!

Ha! Well I must be doing something wrong then. It was my understanding that I did indeed combine the two networks into one. The Z matrix for each 2-port each have all elements equal to ##R##. So that would mean the combined Z matrix would have all elements equal to ##2R## would it not? When plugging into the equation for the hint I get R as I have shown. What am I doing wrong?? :(

Xyius said:
Ha! Well I must be doing something wrong then. It was my understanding that I did indeed combine the two networks into one. The Z matrix for each 2-port each have all elements equal to ##R##. So that would mean the combined Z matrix would have all elements equal to ##2R## would it not? When plugging into the equation for the hint I get R as I have shown. What am I doing wrong?? :(
You have the right combined Z matrix. Could you show your math step-by-step?

rude man said:
You have the right combined Z matrix. Could you show your math step-by-step?
Oh! I plugged in the wrong value for ##Z_L##! I did it again and got ##(2/3)R##.

Xyius said:
Oh! I plugged in the wrong value for ##Z_L##! I did it again and got ##(2/3)R##.
Bingo!

Likes Xyius
rude man said:
Bingo!

Awesome! Hey thanks a lot for your help. I very much appreciate it!

Xyius said:
Awesome! Hey thanks a lot for your help. I very much appreciate it!
My pleasure.

What is a 2-port network?

A 2-port network is a circuit or device that has two separate input and output ports. It is commonly used to model and analyze linear systems in electrical engineering.

What are Z parameters?

Z parameters, also known as impedance parameters, are a set of four complex numbers that represent the relationship between the voltage and current at the input and output ports of a 2-port network. They are typically denoted as Z11, Z12, Z21, and Z22.

How do you solve Z parameter questions?

To solve Z parameter questions, you first need to determine the values of the Z parameters for the given 2-port network. This can be done by using circuit analysis techniques, such as the voltage divider rule or mesh analysis. Once the Z parameters are known, you can use them to calculate the voltage and current at the input and output ports for a given load, such as an R load.

What is an R load?

An R load, also known as a resistive load, is a circuit component that has a purely resistive impedance. This means that it does not contain any reactive components, such as capacitors or inductors. In Z parameter questions, an R load is commonly used to represent the output load of a 2-port network.

Why are Z parameters important?

Z parameters are important because they provide a simple and accurate way to model the behavior of a 2-port network. They can be used to analyze the performance of a system, such as its gain, input and output impedances, and frequency response. Z parameters are also useful in designing and optimizing circuits and systems, as they can help identify potential issues and improve the overall performance.