Interpretation of a before $\gamma^{5}$ in J$_{\alpha}$

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
LupusLupus
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Could you explain what's the interpretation of [tex]a[/tex] before [tex]\gamma^{5}[/tex] in this current:

[tex]J_{\alpha}=\bar{\psi_{e}}\gamma^{\alpha}\left(1-a\gamma^{5}\right)\psi_{\nu_{e}} +\bar{\psi_{\mu}}\gamma^{\alpha}\left(1-a\gamma^{5}\right)\psi_{\nu_{\mu}}[/tex]?

And will this factor complicate calculations of decay rate of muon very much? I've seen that the standard form of current in the most popular books contains just [tex]1-\gamma^{5}[/tex].
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is the relative strength of the axial current. It's unity for leptons. But where did you get this? It's a poor way to write this, since it's the vector current that changes.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
But where did you get this? It's a poor way to write this, since it's the vector current that changes.
It's a task from my studies. I have to calculate the decay rate for muon starting from hamiltonian with current in this form. I've started and ran into troubles.