Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpretation of Linear Variable Differential Transformer (LVDT) voltage output

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    Good day to all Physics Forums members,

I am currently undertaking a project which involves the use of a Linear Variable Differential Transformer (LVDT) to measure the distance an object makes between two points. My setup is as follows:

1. LVDT Type: Solartron DC50 with sensitivity of 6.158 mV/V/mm at 10 VDC
    2. Power supply to LVDT: 12.12 VDC (const. and cannot be varied)
    3. Voltage output from LVDT fed to dataTaker data acquisition system

In an attempt at verifying the calibrated sensitivity of the LVDT, I performed a number of height measurements using gauge blocks. I took 6 equally-spaced height intervals between the maximums of the LVDT range and plotted the LVDT voltage output vs. height. Here is what I encountered:

1. The curve plotted was NOT linear as I anticipated it to be. As a matter of fact, the curve fit a polynomial equation of degree five with R2 = 1
    2. When comparing the LVDT output voltage with the LVDT calibrated sensitivity values, discrepancies occured, e.g. a 20 mm difference between two gauge block heights returned a 20.5 mm difference calculated from the voltage output of the LVDT. The discrepancies grew as the ends of the LVDT were approached.

My questions are:

1. Could the fitted curve be beneficial for my use seeing as I've determined the end-to-end output values of the LVDT, OR,
    2. Should I, instead, just get the LVDT calibrated and use the obtained sensitivity value.

To be frank, I would highly prefer Option 1, if it is in fact a justifiable solution.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks. :smile:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted