Intersecting 2 continuous laser in thin air to create a dot

GregoriusGery
I am planning on making an experiment about intersecting continuous wave laser from 2 or more source on 1 point in thin air. The laser i am planning to use is the simple laser diode, pumped with continuous wave, instead of using pulsed wave as in the usual laser pointer as i don't need it to reach a great distance.
What I'm asking is would the intersection point be brighter then the initial source of laser? like twice as bright if I use 2 source, or 3x as bright if i use 3 source?
I'm hoping for suggestions here before I started to put money and energy into building this experiment.

Answers and Replies

What happens along the path of a normal laser beam in thin air? Do you see anything? Why do you expect to see something when you cross two laser beams?

GregoriusGery
What happens along the path of a normal laser beam in thin air? Do you see anything? Why do you expect to see something when you cross two laser beams?
as i know, if you put enough power to it, the diode can emit laser which tracks is visible, like in laser show
please do correct me if I'm wrong

as i know, if you put enough power to it, the diode can emit laser which tracks is visible, like in laser show
please do correct me if I'm wrong
In a laser show, the room is filled with smoke to make the laser track visible. It would be incredibly dangerous if they'd use enough Laser power to make the air glow. If you are somewhat good at physics you can probably calculate the laser power that you need to see the Thomson scattering of air molecules. I would expect that it is really large and probably in the thermal blooming regime where you instead see a glowing plasma.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Perhaps two UV beams could beat where they cross in a non linear medium. Get the frequencies right for an optical difference frequency.