1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection nested, closed sequence of intervals

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.
    Let ##\{I_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}## be a sequence of closed nested intervals and for each ##n \in \mathbb N## let ##\alpha_n## be the lenght of ##I_n##.
    Prove that ##lim_{n \to \infty}\alpha_n## exists and prove that if ##L=lim_{n \to \infty}\alpha_n>0##, then ##\bigcap_{n \in \mathbb N} I_n## is a closed interval of lenght ##L##.

The attempt at a solution.

I didn't have problems to prove the existence of the limit: if ##I_n=[a_n,b_n]##, then ##\alpha_n=b_n-a_n## and ##\{a_n\}_n, \{b_n\}_n## are increasing and decreasing bounded sequences respectively, so both are convergent ##\implies \{\alpha_n\}_n## is convergent and ##lim_{n \to \infty} \alpha_n=lim_{n \to \infty}b_n-a_n=lim_{n \to \infty}b_n-lim_{n \to \infty}a_n=b-a##.

Now, I would like to say that if ##b-a>0 \implies \bigcap_{n \in \mathbb N} I_n=[a,b]##, but I don't know hot to prove this part.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try showing if x isn't in [a,b] then x isn't in the intersection and if x is in [a,b] then x is in the intersection.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  4. Nov 21, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess I'm not seeing anything difficult about this. Can you prove that if x<a then x is not in ##\bigcap_{n \in \mathbb N} I_n##? Same if x>b. And if a<=x<=b then it is? It's just reasoning about what 'intersection' means.

5. Nov 22, 2013 #4
    Yes, it was just thinking the definition of intersection and apply it, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted