1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of a sequence of intervals equals a point

1. Dec 6, 2012 #1
    Intersection of a sequence of intervals equals a point (Analysis)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A[itex]_{n}[/itex] = [a[itex]_{n}[/itex], b[itex]_{n}[/itex]] be a sequence of intervals s.t. A[itex]_{n}[/itex]>A[itex]_{n+1}[/itex] and |b[itex]_{n}[/itex]-a[itex]_{n}[/itex]|[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0. Then [itex]\cap^{∞}_{n=1}[/itex]A[itex]_{n}[/itex]={p} for some p[itex]\in[/itex]R.
    2. Relevant equations
    Monotonic Convergent Theorem
    If {a[itex]_{n}[/itex]} is a sequence of real numbers, then this sequence has a finite limit if and only if the sequence is bounded.

R = Real Numbers
    N = Natural Numbers

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since [a[itex]_{m}[/itex], b[itex]_{m}[/itex]]≤[a[itex]_{n}[/itex],b[itex]_{n}[/itex] for n≤m, then a[itex]_{n}[/itex]≤a[itex]_{m}[/itex] for n≤m and implies {a[itex]_{n}[/itex]}, n[itex]\in[/itex]N is monotonically nondecreasing.

Since a[itex]_{m}[/itex]≤b[itex]_{m}[/itex] and a[itex]_{n}[/itex]≤b[itex]_{n}[/itex], then a[itex]_{i}[/itex]≤b[itex]_{j}[/itex] for i,j[itex]\in[/itex]N. And {b[itex]_{j}[/itex]} is monotonically nonincreasing and bounded below [itex]\forall[/itex]a[itex]_{i}[/itex],i[itex]\in[/itex]N.

Then by Monotonic Convergent Theorem, lim[itex]_{n\rightarrow∞}[/itex]{a[itex]_{n}[/itex]} and lim[itex]_{n\rightarrow∞}[/itex]{b[itex]_{n}[/itex]} exist. Also, lim[itex]_{n\rightarrow∞}[/itex]{a[itex]_{n}[/itex]}=sup(a[itex]_{n}[/itex]}) = α and lim[itex]_{n\rightarrow∞}[/itex]{b[itex]_{n}[/itex]}=inf(b[itex]_{n}[/itex]}) = β.

Then since α=sup(a[itex]_{n}[/itex]), α≤b[itex]_{n}[/itex], n[itex]\in[/itex]N, β=inf(b[itex]_{n}[/itex]), α≤β, this implies that [α,β]≠0. Since a[itex]_{n}[/itex]≤α≤β≤b[itex]_{n}[/itex], then [α,β][itex]\subset[/itex][a[itex]_{n}[/itex], b[itex]_{n}[/itex]]. This implies [itex]\cap^{∞}_{n=1}[/itex]=[α,β].

Then lim[itex]_{n\rightarrow∞}[/itex](b[itex]_{n}[/itex]-a[itex]_{n}[/itex])=0. This implies lim[itex]_{n\rightarrow∞}[/itex](b[itex]_{n}[/itex])-lim[itex]_{n\rightarrow∞}[/itex](a[itex]_{n}[/itex])=0. This implies β-α=0, implies β=α.

Then [α,β] = {α} = {β}, implies [α,β] = {p} for some p[itex]\in[/itex]R.
    ∴ [itex]\cap^{∞}_{n=1}[/itex]A[itex]_{n}[/itex]={p} for some p[itex]\in[/itex]R.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Intersection of a sequence of intervals equals a point (Analysis)

OK up to here, I think.
    I'm not sure how you concluded that last bit. All this demonstrates is that [itex][\alpha,\beta] \subset \cap_{n=1}^{\infty}[a_n,b_n][/itex].
    I think you have all the necessary ingredients for the proof, but it is more cluttered than it needs to be. It suffices to prove the following two statements:

1. The intersection is non-empty. For example, it contains [itex]\sup a_n[/itex]. You have already proved this.

2. The intersection cannot contain more than one point. For suppose it contained two distinct points [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex]. Then there is some nonzero distance between them: [itex]|x - y| = d > 0[/itex]. Use the fact that [itex]b_n - a_n \rightarrow 0[/itex] to show that this cannot happen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook