What is the intersection of nullspaces of S1, S2, and S3?

In summary, the person is looking for a vector that is not within any of the subspaces S1, S2, or S3. They are specifically interested in finding a method to determine a vector that cannot be formed from a linear combination of the rows in these subspaces. They believe that the vector they are looking for lies in the intersection of the nullspaces of S1, S2, and S3, but are unsure how to find this space. They clarify that they are looking for a vector b that cannot be solved for in systems using the transpose of S1, S2, and S3, and vectors x1, x2, and x3.
mathomatt
I am looking to find a vector which does not lie in various subspaces.

For example, if I have:
S1 = [1,0,0; 0,1,0] (x-y plane)
S2 = [1,0,0; 0,0,1] (x-z plane)
S3 = [0,1,0; 0,0,1] (y-z plane)

I want to find a vector which was not within any of these subspaces - in this specific example any point that is not on the planes mentioned above. So the point [1,1,1] would be fine.

I am not just wanting to check whether a point is in any of these subspaces, but rather to find a method which will provide me with a point that is definitely not in these subspaces.

I feel that the space I am interested in is the intersection of the nullspaces of S1, S2 and S3, however I am unsure how to find such a space.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not at all sure what you MEAN by "the nullspaces of S1, S2 and S3". Linear transformations have "null spaces", subspaces do not.

Apologies.

Hopefully this makes more sense.

I need to find a vector that cannot be formed from a linear combination of the rows in S1. It also can't be formed by a linear combination of rows in S2 or a linear combination of rows in S3.

So I am trying to find a vector b such that there is no solution to each of the following systems - no such x1, x2 or x3 vectors exist.

S1^T*x1 = b
S2^T*x2 = b
S3^T*x3 = b

FAQ: What is the intersection of nullspaces of S1, S2, and S3?

1. What is the intersection of nullspaces?

The intersection of nullspaces refers to the set of all vectors that are contained in both nullspaces of two or more matrices. In other words, it is the common elements that make both matrices equal to the zero vector.

2. How is the intersection of nullspaces related to linear independence?

If the intersection of nullspaces is non-empty, it means that there exists at least one vector that can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. This suggests linear dependence among the vectors.

3. Can the intersection of nullspaces be greater than one vector?

Yes, the intersection of nullspaces can have more than one vector if there are multiple matrices involved that share the same nullspace.

4. What is the significance of the intersection of nullspaces in linear algebra?

The intersection of nullspaces is important in determining the solution space of a system of linear equations. It can also be used to find a basis for the nullspace of a matrix.

5. How can the intersection of nullspaces be calculated?

The intersection of nullspaces can be calculated by finding the nullspace of each matrix and then finding the common elements among them. This can be done by solving a system of linear equations or using linear algebra software.

Back