Intersection of Physics and Applied Math?

In summary, the conversation discusses the intersection of applied math and physics, and the possibility of pursuing a program or research in this field. Several universities, such as Cambridge, Imperial College London, Columbia, Waterloo, and Cornell, offer programs and research opportunities in this area. The person is seeking insight and comments on this topic.
EternusVia
Hello all,

I am interested in both physics and applied math. One of my professors is willing to work with me to get into a great applied math school, but I don't want to abandon my passion for physics.
  • Is there work being done at the intersection of applied math and physics?
  • Is it reasonable to look for a program at the "intersection" of these two fields?
  • What might be some examples of research at the intersection of applied math and physics?
If you could add some insight about any of the questions above, or if you want to add a comment in general, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the intersection of physics and applied math?

The intersection of physics and applied math involves the application of mathematical concepts and techniques to solve problems in physics. It is the use of mathematical models and equations to describe and understand physical phenomena.

2. How does applied math contribute to our understanding of physics?

Applied math plays a crucial role in physics by providing the tools and methods needed to describe and analyze complex physical systems. It allows us to make predictions and test theories, ultimately leading to a deeper understanding of the natural world.

3. What are some examples of how physics and applied math work together?

One example is the use of differential equations to model the motion of objects in classical mechanics. Another example is the application of statistical methods to analyze data and make predictions in quantum mechanics.

4. What skills are necessary to work at the intersection of physics and applied math?

To work at the intersection of physics and applied math, one needs to have a strong background in both physics and mathematics. This includes knowledge of calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and probability/statistics.

5. What are the potential real-world applications of the intersection of physics and applied math?

The intersection of physics and applied math has countless real-world applications, such as in engineering, computer science, economics, and finance. It also plays a crucial role in developing technologies in fields such as renewable energy, medicine, and space exploration.