1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of surface and plane.

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    Parameterizing vector function for intersection of cylinder and plane

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem asks us to find the vector function of the curve which is created when the plane y= 5/2 intersects the ellptic cyl. (x^2)/4 + (z^2)/6 = 5

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know its going to be an ellipse formed....

I took the given ellptic cyl. equation, and divided by 5 to get (x^2)/20 + (z^2)/30 = 1.

***I parameterized by using x=cos(t) and z=sin(t) and got ((cost)^2)/20 + ((sint)^2)/30 =1.

Now, by looking at examples that are somewhat similar, I could tell the answer by looking at number relationships. However, I am unsure of the true way to go about getting my final solution.

My "made up way" of solving was to set either x or z to zero before parameterizing.

My final answers are x=(sqrt[20])cos(t) y=5/2 z=(sqrt[30])sin(t)

I checked my answer using a graphing program, and it is correct, but I am just unsure about going about the TRUE way of solving once I get to the part labeled *** above.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2010 #2
    Any takers? I'm sure I have the answer right, just not sure of the "correct" last couple steps to get to that answer so that I can show work properly.

4. Sep 21, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This step seems flaky to me.

The correct parametrization is, I believe, x = a*cos(t), z = b*sin(t). Then you have
    [tex]\frac{a^2 cos^2(t)}{20} + \frac{b^2 sin^2(t)}{30} = 1[/tex]

For this equation to be identically true for all t, it must be that a2 = 20 and b2 = 30, which makes the parametric form of the ellipse (in the x-z plane)
    x = [itex]\sqrt{20}[/itex] cos(t)
    z = [itex]\sqrt{30}[/itex] sin(t)

I think this is the right way to go about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook