Is the Intersection of Two Surfaces a Cylinder or Paraboloid in 3D?

There's nothing wrong with using cartesian coordinates. We write ##x^2 + y^2 =4## and ##x^2 + y^2 - 4 = z##.No, that is absolutely incorrect. That equation isn't a cylinder, it's a paraboloid. ##x^2 + y^2 =4## is a circle in 2D but a cylinder in 3D. ##x^2 + y^2 - 4 = z## is a paraboloid of revolution, along the z-axis. There's nothing wrong with using cartesian coordinates
0kelvin
I'm given equations of surfaces and asked for the vector function that represents the intersection of the two surfaces.

For ex: $$x^2 + y^2 = 4$$ and $$z = xy$$

In the solutions manual the answer is given like this: a sum of terms of cos t and sin t (is this polar form?). The way I did wasn't using cos t. I isolated y, substituted in z = xy and assumed x = t. Which resulted in something like this r(t) = (... , ... , ...). This form should be the same thing as r(t) = ai + bj + ck.

Do I have to use polar coordinates in this exercise? I believe that I went cartesian coordinates in my solution. (not forgetting that ## y = \pm \sqrt{4 - x^2}##)

Physics news on Phys.org
You apparently don't have to use polar coordinates, but they are the obvious best choice because you have a cylinder. You have ##x = 2\cos t,~y=2\sin t## and put ##z## in terms of them and you get a parametric curve.

The usual parametrization of [itex]x^2 + y^2 = a^2[/itex] is [itex](x,y) = (a\cos t, a \sin t)[/itex]. This avoids ambiguities over the signs of square roots.

This parametrization is in cartesian coordinates; in polar coordinates it would be [itex](r,\theta) = (a, t)[/itex].

##r(t) = (t, \pm \sqrt{4 - t^2}, \pm t \sqrt{4 - t^2})## is correct?

uhm? Are you saying that r(t) means Radius as a function of t? I didn't use "r" as "radius".

Using polar coordinates as in the book, the answer is r(t) = (2 cos t, 2 sin t, 4 cos t sin t). Because radius = 2.

0kelvin said:
uhm? Are you saying that r(t) means Radius as a function of t? I didn't use "r" as "radius".

Using polar coordinates as in the book, the answer is r(t) = (2 cos t, 2 sin t, 4 cos t sin t). Because radius = 2.

Since ##r## is commonly used as a notation for a polar coordinate, if you mean your ##r## to be a position vector you should embelish the notation and use either ##\vec{r}## or the bold-face form ##\bf r##.

I just realized what is wrong with my solution in cartesian coordinates. If I isolate like this ##y = \sqrt{4 - x^2}##, I'm looking at the equation as a circle, not as a cylinder. For it to be a cylinder I have to do this: ##x^2 + y^2 - 4 = z##, where z = f(x,y,z). Now it's a surface in 3D.

0kelvin said:
I just realized what is wrong with my solution in cartesian coordinates. If I isolate like this ##y = \sqrt{4 - x^2}##, I'm looking at the equation as a circle, not as a cylinder. For it to be a cylinder I have to do this: ##x^2 + y^2 - 4 = z##, where z = f(x,y,z). Now it's a surface in 3D.
No, that is absolutely incorrect. That equation isn't a cylinder, it's a paraboloid. ##x^2 + y^2 =4## is a circle in 2D but a cylinder in 3D.

1. What is a vector function?

A vector function is a mathematical function that takes one or more inputs and produces a vector as an output. It can be represented in the form of f(x) = (f1(x), f2(x), f3(x), ...), where f1, f2, f3,... are scalar functions and x is the input variable.

2. How is a vector function different from a regular function?

A regular function produces a scalar value as an output, while a vector function produces a vector as an output. This means that a vector function has multiple components, each of which is a scalar function.

3. What are some common applications of vector functions?

Vector functions are used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are particularly useful for representing physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as force, velocity, and acceleration.

4. How do you write a vector function?

To write a vector function, you first need to identify the scalar functions that make up each component of the vector. Then, you can combine these scalar functions using vector notation, such as f(x) = (x^2, sin(x), 3x). The input variable x can be a scalar or a vector, depending on the specific function.

5. What are some properties of vector functions?

Vector functions have properties similar to regular functions, such as domain, range, and continuity. In addition, they also have properties specific to vectors, such as magnitude, direction, and linearity. These properties can be used to analyze and manipulate vector functions in mathematical calculations.