1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of surface and tangent plane

1. Feb 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a surface given by z=x^2 - y^2 and its tangent plane at the point (x,y)=(1,1) given by z = 2x-2y. I am asked to compute the intersection of the tangent plane with the surface.

3. The attempt at a solution

I did the obvious and set x^2-y^2 = 2x -2y to find the x,y lying on their intersection. I moved all of the terms to the RHS and used the quadratic formula to obtain x=y and x+y=2.

If x=y, then obviously z=0. I'm a little lost on what to do with the x+y=2. I know what the two graphs look like and I know what their intersection looks like, but I am trying to justify my answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have two equations and two unknowns - what would you normally do in that situation?

4. Feb 23, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so if x=y then z=0. x=y is a plane, z=0 is another plane. So that leads you to the solution that is the intersection of those two planes, which is the line (x,x,0) where x can have any value. Do something very similar with the x+y=2 solution. You'll get the that the solution is two lines, yes?

5. Feb 24, 2013 #4
    Okay, if I take x^2-y^2=(x+y)(x-y)=z and plug in 2-x=y, I get 4-4y=z. If I do the same for 2-y=x, I get 4x-4=z. Adding these two equations together gives me 2x-2y=z. So if x+y=2, then 2x-2y=z. So we have the intersection as two lines formed by the intersections of x=y, z=0 and x+y=2, 2x-2y=z.

6. Feb 24, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, yes, ok. So the two lines of intersection are what? Describe them both.

7. Feb 25, 2013 #6
    Sorry, I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Can we not describe them as the two lines formed by the intersection of the planes x=y and z=0 and the planes x+y=2 and 2x-2y=z?

We could describe one line by (x, x, 0) and the other by (x, 2-x, 4-4x), where x may be chosen freely for both.

Thank you for your help!

8. Feb 25, 2013 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

<puzzled>
    Did I misread? According to post #1 the intersection satisfies:
    (1) x=y
    (2) x+y=2
    (3) z=0

... these relations are repeated in post #4
    ... why not just sub (1) into (2)?

9. Feb 25, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, that's right.

10. Feb 25, 2013 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Those relations come from factoring x^2-y^2=2x-2y. (x-y)(x+y)=2(x-y). The solutions are x-y=0 OR x+y=2. Not necessarily both at the same time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted