Partial differential (multivariable calculus)

In summary, the author has chosen an option for solving a problem that is incorrect. They need to consider the derivative at (x,y)=(a,b) in order to find the line.
Poetria
Homework Statement
Recall that when we take a partial derivative, at a point (a,b), we fix the x-coordinate at a , and differentiate with respect to the y variable.

Which of the following best describes fixing the x-coordinate at the value a?
Relevant Equations
E.g. f(x,y)=x^2+y^2
f(y)= 2*y
Intersecting the graph of the surface z=f(x,y) with the yz -plane.

This is the option I have chosen, but it's wrong. I don't understand why. x is fixed so I thought the coordinates: y and z are left.

I thought this source may be helpful: https://www.whitman.edu/mathematics/calculus_online/section14.03.html

Physics news on Phys.org
You fixed the value of ##x## to ##x=0##. Why? You should consider ##g(y)=f(c,y)## with an arbitrary constant ##c##. Now that we are interested in the derivative at ##(x,y)=(a,b)## we get ##c=a##. Your solution is only correct if ##a=0.## E.g. if we have ##f(x,y)=xy^2## then we look for ##g'(y)=(ay^2)'## at ##y=b.## What would we get in the ##y-z-##plane?

Likes Poetria
Well, g'(y)=2*a*y
If y=b, then g'(y)=2*a*b

Is it a line?
So the correct answer is: Intersecting the graph of the surface z=f(x,y) with the plane y=b ?

Poetria said:
Well, g'(y)=2*a*y
If y=b, then g'(y)=2*a*b

Is it a line?
So the correct answer is: Intersecting the graph of the surface z=f(x,y) with the plane y=b ?
Are you sure the partial derivative according to ##y## was meant? I'd say we consider the intersection with the plane ##x=a## since we want to know changes in the ##y-##direction with constant ##x=a.## The plane with ##y=b## doesn't change anything in the ##y-##direction.

A partial derivative is only a directional derivative in a coordinate direction, either ##\partial_x## or ##\partial_y.## Evaluating it at ##(a,b)## means to put the origin of the tangent space in ##(a,b)##, but the directions remain the same.

Likes Poetria
I got it. The plane a is parallel to the yz plane.
Many thanks.

Likes Delta2

1. What is a partial differential equation?

A partial differential equation (PDE) is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It describes how a function changes with respect to each of its variables, taking into account their interdependence.

2. How is a PDE different from an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

A PDE involves multiple independent variables, while an ODE only involves one independent variable. This means that the solution to a PDE is a function of more than one variable, while the solution to an ODE is a function of only one variable.

3. What are some real-world applications of PDEs?

PDEs are used to model many physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism. They are also used in economics, finance, and other fields to model complex systems and make predictions.

4. How are PDEs solved?

There are several methods for solving PDEs, including separation of variables, the method of characteristics, and numerical methods. The specific method used depends on the type of PDE and the boundary conditions of the problem.

5. What is the significance of PDEs in mathematics?

PDEs play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, including analysis, geometry, and topology. They are also important in physics and engineering, as they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems.