Intersection Points of Polar Equations

In summary, the intersection points can't be found because each graph passes through the point at a different angle.
jnbfive
I've been having a problem finding the intersection points of the following polar equations.

r=1+3sin(theta)

and

r=1-3cos(theta)

Now I've set the equations equal to each other to obtain those points. I've set each equation equal to zero. The problem I'm having is that when graphed, there are intersection points that can't be found due to each graph passing through the respective point at a different angle. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I would go about finding those intersection points; I need these points in order to find certain areas of the graph.

It would be of MASSIVE help if anyone could provide me with information. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I am missing something but don't you just do
1+3sin(theta) = 1-3cos(theta)
Sin[x]/Cos[x]=-1

Tan[x]=-1
x= 3Pi/4 or -Pi/4
then plug this into r equation to find the corresponding r coordinate

I said in my first post, first line of the first paragraph.

"I've been having a problem finding the intersection points of the following polar equations.

r=1+3sin(theta)

and

r=1-3cos(theta)

Now I've set the equations equal to each other to obtain those points. I've set each equation equal to zero. The problem I'm having is that when graphed, there are intersection points that can't be found due to each graph passing through the respective point at a different angle. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I would go about finding those intersection points; I need these points in order to find certain areas of the graph.

It would be of MASSIVE help if anyone could provide me with information. Thank you."

I have those points. I need the other points. Its easier to understand if you have a graphing calculator handy and plug them into it. The points are when each limacon passes through the inner loop of the other limacon. Those are what I can't find.

And I'm sorry if I came across as testy. Its just I've been working on this problem for the past 3 days. I've expended every possible resource that I know of; no one in my class knows how to mathematically obtain those points. It's just really bothersome that I can't figure it out.

Just add and subtract Pi
Tan[-Pi/4+Pi]=-1
Tan[3Pi/4+Pi]=-1
Tan[3Pi/4+Pi+Pi]=-1
Tan[-Pi/4+Pi+Pi]=-1
etc etc. there are an infinite amount of answers.

Well this seems to be revealing something about polar plots I never thought of before. Just do your graphs Cartesian-wise and see whether you don't see something unexpected! :wink:

Then you may be able to see what it is that is causing you this pain.

1. What are intersection points of polar equations?

Intersection points of polar equations are points where two or more polar equations intersect on a polar coordinate plane.

2. How do you find the intersection points of polar equations?

To find the intersection points of polar equations, you can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for the values of theta that satisfy both equations. These values of theta represent the x-coordinates of the intersection points. Then, you can plug these values of theta into either equation to find the corresponding y-coordinates.

3. Can polar equations have more than two intersection points?

Yes, polar equations can have more than two intersection points. In fact, there can be an infinite number of intersection points depending on the complexity of the equations.

4. What do the intersection points of polar equations represent?

The intersection points of polar equations represent the coordinates where the two equations intersect, or in other words, where the two equations have the same value for both the radius and the angle.

5. How are intersection points of polar equations used in real life?

Intersection points of polar equations have various applications in real life, such as in navigation systems, astronomy, and engineering. They can be used to determine the position of objects in space, calculate trajectories, and design circular structures.