Intersections and Unions of powersets confusing

• Thread starter xpoferens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to do a proof using Venn diagrams and comes to the conclusion that they don't count as formal proofs, but is still confused.
xpoferens

Homework Statement

let A and B be finite sets

Let P(A) denote the Power Set of A (set of all subsets of A)

Homework Equations

Prove or disprove:
a) P(A inter B) = P(A) inter P(B)
b) P(A U B) = P(B) U P(B)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried drawing Venn diagrams and came to the conclusion that they must be true but when I asked my professor for help all he said was that Venn diagrams don't count as formal proofs and that I was wrong in any case. Now I am just totally confused. Any help will be appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just try doing it with words. You really want to prove two things for each question

a) Prove that P(a intersect B) is a subset of P(A) intersect P(B). Also prove that P(A) intersect P(B) is a subset of P(A intersect B).

So how do we do this? For the first direction: Suppose X is an element of P(A intersect B). Your goal is to conclude that X is an element of both P(A) and P(B)

ok so if x is an element of P(A inter B)
then a is a subset of (A inter B)
so a is a subset of A AND a is a subset of B
so a is an element of P(A) AND a is an element of P(B)
therefore a is an element of P(A) inter P(B).

Is that reasoning sound?

Yeah looks good to me.

Ok thanks alot,

Now for part b, after thinking about it I can intuitively see why the equality is false but I don't know how to prove it. Could you point me in the right direction please?

OK I actually just thought that since it's easier to prove that something is false I used a counter example.
Consider A = {1} and B = {2}
In this case P(A) U P (B) does not contain {1, 2} but P(A U B) does. That seems logical to me..

For part a you need to do the other direction that P(A) intersect P(B) is a subset of P(A intersect B)

Part b sounds good also

1. What is the difference between an intersection and a union of powersets?

The intersection of two powersets is the set of all elements that are common to both sets, while the union of two powersets is the set of all elements that are in either set.

2. How do you calculate the intersection of two powersets?

To find the intersection of two powersets, you can create a Venn diagram and place the sets inside it. The overlapping region represents the intersection of the two sets.

3. How is the union of powersets different from the union of two sets?

The union of powersets includes all subsets of both sets, whereas the union of two sets only includes the elements that are in either set, not their subsets.

4. Can the intersection and union of powersets be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the intersection and union of powersets to be empty. This can occur if the two sets being intersected or unionized have no elements in common, or if one or both sets are empty.

5. How can understanding intersections and unions of powersets be useful?

Understanding intersections and unions of powersets can be useful in various mathematical and scientific fields, such as set theory, probability, and data analysis. These concepts can also be applied in problem-solving and decision-making processes.