1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersections and Unions of powersets confusing

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let A and B be finite sets

Let P(A) denote the Power Set of A (set of all subsets of A)

2. Relevant equations

Prove or disprove:
    a) P(A inter B) = P(A) inter P(B)
    b) P(A U B) = P(B) U P(B)

3. The attempt at a solution

So I tried drawing Venn diagrams and came to the conclusion that they must be true but when I asked my professor for help all he said was that Venn diagrams don't count as formal proofs and that I was wrong in any case. Now I am just totally confused. Any help will be appreciated

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just try doing it with words. You really want to prove two things for each question

a) Prove that P(a intersect B) is a subset of P(A) intersect P(B). Also prove that P(A) intersect P(B) is a subset of P(A intersect B).

So how do we do this? For the first direction: Suppose X is an element of P(A intersect B). Your goal is to conclude that X is an element of both P(A) and P(B)

4. Oct 5, 2009 #3
    ok so if x is an element of P(A inter B)
    then a is a subset of (A inter B)
    so a is a subset of A AND a is a subset of B
    so a is an element of P(A) AND a is an element of P(B)
    therefore a is an element of P(A) inter P(B).

Is that reasoning sound?

5. Oct 5, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah looks good to me.

6. Oct 6, 2009 #5
    Ok thanks alot,

Now for part b, after thinking about it I can intuitively see why the equality is false but I don't know how to prove it. Could you point me in the right direction please?

7. Oct 6, 2009 #6
    OK I actually just thought that since it's easier to prove that something is false I used a counter example.
    Consider A = {1} and B = {2}
    In this case P(A) U P (B) does not contain {1, 2} but P(A U B) does. That seems logical to me..

8. Oct 6, 2009 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For part a you need to do the other direction that P(A) intersect P(B) is a subset of P(A intersect B)

Part b sounds good also

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook