1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interval notation for series converging

1. Mar 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So I solved this problem
    ∑ (-1)^n (x+5)^n by finding the sum of the series to be 1/(x+6), which was correct. I am stuck on the second part of the problem asking for interval notation.
    It says: Determine, in interval notation, the values of x for which the series converges. Use "-I" for negative infinity, "I" for infinity.

2. The attempt at a solution

I know that -x+5 > 1, but how to I turn this into interval notation?
    I'm stuck on every one of these problems on my math hw, unfortunately. Please advise if you can. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The standard is to use a "square" bracket (i.e. [ or ]) when the endpoint is included in the interval, and a parenthesis when it's not. For example, [a,b) denotes the set of all extended real numbers* x such that ##a\leq x<b##.

*) The set of extended real numbers includes all the real numbers and has exactly two more elements that are usually denoted by ##+\infty## and ##-\infty##, but apparently you are supposed to denote them by I and -I.

Another example: Consider the set of all non-negative real numbers, i.e. the set of all real numbers x such that x≥0. Since every real number is less than +∞, we can write 0≤x<+∞ instead of just x>0. So the interval notation for this set would be [0,+∞).

4. Mar 27, 2014 #3
    I have tried everything, and I cannot seem to get the answer correct.
    Can you help me on this one? I really don't know how to do it. I have many similar problems so I will try those once I see how to do it.

5. Mar 27, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't believe that your inequality is correct, so it isn't a matter of turning it into interval notation, but rather, starting with the correct inequality.

Your series is a geometric series, a fact that you used to get the sum of the series. The common ratio, r, is -(x + 5). For such a series to converge, it must be that |r| < 1. In this case, that means that |-(x + 5)| < 1, which is equivalent to |x + 5| < 1. Another way to write this is -1 < x + 5 < 1. Can you solve this inequality?

6. Mar 27, 2014 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You asked about interval notation, and I explained it to you. What kind of answer did you want if not an explanation of interval notation?

I didn't look at the series since you were only asking about the inequality and the notation. I have looked at it now, and I agree with Mark. You need to start with |-(x+5)|<1 and rewrite that as two inequalities a<x<b. The straightforward way to deal with an equality that involves an absolute value is this: |x|<y tells you that if x≥0, then x<y, and that if x≤0, then -x<y.

There's also an easier way based on the notion of distance between two real numbers.

7. Mar 27, 2014 #6
    Would it be (-6, -4)? Ahh. Thank you so much.

Thanks everyone! It helped and I solved the rest of my homework for these! :)

8. Mar 27, 2014 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that's it. We're happy to help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted