Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intrinsic property of spacetime ?

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    Hi friends

what are intrinsic properties of spacetime ?
    curvature & torsion ? or they are just properties of connections ?
    Since in teleparallel gravity we consider them as properties of connections.

thank u

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, the Lorentz interval is obviously a property of space-time, and that gives us a metric.

What we need to go on to get a connection and curvature from the metric is parallel transport.

Reading the fine print in Wald, though, it's not terribly clear if you can get parallel transport from the metric in the way I'm used to in the presence of torsion. So I can answer the first part fairly confidently, I think - space-time gives you the Lorentz interval and the metric.

But I'm not sure , in the presence of torsion, what it takes to go from the metric to parallel transport (which gives you connections and curvature.) At the moment I'm suspecting it does not, but I might be seriously confused. I opened a different thread so I don't export any confusion into this one.

Without torsion, I know it is possible to single out a connection from a metric.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  4. Nov 15, 2012 #3
    Thank pervect
    i am a bit confused !
    i think that i need more study !!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook