1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro to Analysis (Boundedness of Cauchy)

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove the Boundedness Theorem for Cauchy Sequences by a contrapositive argument.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If {an} is not bounded then {an} is not a cauchy sequence.

We will prove that {an} is not a cauchy sequence by showing that there exists an ε>0 so that for every pos. int. N there exists an n,m>N so that abs(an-am)≥ε.

Set ε=1
    Consider positive N arbitrary.
    Since by hypothesis {an} is not bounded to mean for every B there exists an n so that abs(an)>B. Choose such an n.

This is where I am stuck, how do I find/choose an m? Also how do I get the inequalities to work out at the end?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2
    The same way you found n. You know that {a_n} is unbounded, so for any B, there exists something greater than it, right? well, what about a_n? Shouldn't there be something greater than a_n?

Also, look at some consequences of the triangle inequality.

4. Mar 6, 2012 #3
    Alright I am following what you are saying but get stuck at:

abs(an-am) ≥ abs(an) - abs(am)

Then I do not know how to make it bigger than one.

5. Mar 6, 2012 #4
    So take a peek at the reverse triangle inequality. There's another one, like you have, but a little different.

But if we know that we can some large a_n, well, since {a_n} is unbounded, there exists some |a_m| > |a_n|, right? Then certainly there's some |a_m| > |a_n| + 1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook