1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro to Java book for scientific computing?

1. Oct 3, 2014 #1
    Hey everybody,

I need to learn Java for a course I'm taking in the spring(my C++ course fulfills the prereq for our java intro to data structures course) and I need to get a working knowledge of java. I've been reading the book for the class I'm not taking, but it's essentially built around a program that makes it easier for professors to grade(rather than Eclipse), and I was wondering if there was a book out there that would give me a solid foundation that I could use with eclipse to teach myself. Mostly I'm worried about the underlying concepts for the next course- it's harder to grasp them when the examples and exercises aren't in a program you're using.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Oct 8, 2014 #3
    Right now I'm reading Kernighan and Ritchie's The C Programming Language. Is there a java equivalent that I can find at the library? I just need a java book that teaches you how to program(mainly with examples aimed at science/engineering) but lets you decide which compiler/environment to use.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  5. Oct 11, 2014 #4

td21

Gold Member

Hi,
    I recommend:
    Big Java Late Objects
    https://www.amazon.com/Big-Java-Late-Objects-Horstmann/dp/1118087887
    , which can teach you how to program but lets you decide which compiler/environment to use.

Advantage: Clear, broad, and good for self-learning. You can read later chapters if you have C background.
    Disadvantage: Not many examples on science/engineering but they do exist. I forgot how many though.

Best regards,
    td21

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Oct 11, 2014 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  7. Oct 12, 2014 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Why the heck would you choose Java as a programming language for scientific computing? Rather learn C or [itex]\mathrm{C}^{++}[/itex]. For analytic calculations a computer algebra system like Mathematica is good. For not too time-consuming numerics, Mathematica is even a good choice for that. But Java? I don't get it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted