Need a good real analysis book for undergrad intro course

In summary, the individual is seeking a good real analysis book for an undergraduate "intro" course. They are a computational math major and are struggling with proofs. They have been reading up and teaching themselves but are still struggling with assignments. They have friends in the class but they have already taken analysis courses and cannot constantly help. The recommended books are "Calculus" by Spivak and "Calculus" by Apostol.
hkcool
Need a good real analysis book for undergrad "intro" course

I'm a computational math major (double majoring with MechE) and basically I'm required to take an "intro" (400 level) real analysis sequence with the comp. math department. This course is shaping up to be an incredibly nasty surprise for me since I've never had exposure to proofs before.

I've been reading up and teaching myself the basics ("How to Prove it" by Velleman is really fantastic). I think I under the basics of different proof methods but I'm still struggling immensely on the assignments. I can follow along for the most part during lecture but the professor isn't the greatest.

I have friends in the class who are really helpful but they've already taken analysis courses through the actual math dept. so they're actually way ahead of me and they don't really have time to constantly help me with every little thing. The course textbook is Undergraduate Analysis by Serge Lang. I have a copy of Understanding Analysis by Abbott too but I'm honestly not thrilled with either of them.

Just looking for a book that's very thorough but still catered to a beginner/intermediate level.

Much thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Physics news on Phys.org

I agree with picking up a copy of Spivak's book. I took two semesters of real analysis and was seriously lacking in proof writing. That book saved me from a lot of frustration!

1. What is real analysis?

Real analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties. It involves the techniques and methods for analyzing and understanding functions, sequences, and series of real numbers.

2. What is an undergraduate introductory course in real analysis?

An undergraduate introductory course in real analysis is a math course typically taken by students in their first or second year of college. It covers the fundamental concepts and techniques of real analysis, including limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, and sequences and series.

3. Why is it important to find a good real analysis book for an undergrad intro course?

A good real analysis book is crucial for an undergraduate introductory course as it provides a solid foundation for understanding the subject and can greatly enhance learning and comprehension. A well-written book can also serve as a valuable reference for future courses and research.

4. What should I look for in a good real analysis book for an undergrad intro course?

Some key factors to consider when choosing a real analysis book for an undergraduate introductory course include the level of rigor, clarity of explanations, examples and exercises, and the author's writing style. It is also important to choose a book that aligns with the course objectives and the instructor's teaching style.

5. Can you recommend a good real analysis book for an undergrad intro course?

There are several excellent real analysis books available for undergraduate introductory courses, including "Introduction to Real Analysis" by Robert G. Bartle and Donald R. Sherbert, "A First Course in Real Analysis" by Murray H. Protter and Charles B. Morrey, Jr., and "Understanding Analysis" by Stephen Abbott. Ultimately, the best book for you will depend on your individual learning style and needs.