1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid State Introduction to Solid State Physics by Charles Kittel

1. Strongly Recommend

25.0%
  2. Lightly Recommend

50.0%
  3. Lightly don't Recommend

12.5%
  4. Strongly don't Recommend

12.5%
  1. Jan 19, 2013 #1
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2013 #2

A_B

Hi,

I'm taking a course on Solid State Physics using this book. The reviews here and on amazon aren't very positive. Is there a good book you would suggest as a companion?

Thanks,

A_B

4. Feb 11, 2013 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think this is a wonderful book, with wide coverage of topics and nice explanations. Kittel always provides references to experimental results to compliment the discussions. I read many complaints about recent editions, especially the 7th and 8th. I highly recommend the 3rd edition.

5. Feb 12, 2013 #4
    I'm reading the part about phonons in diatomic bases on pages 95-99 in the 8th edition. I might have confused myself but it seems like Kittel switched the directions for the NaCl and CsCl structure around on page 97. CsCl is a crystal with a simple cubic lattice and a basis of Cs at 000 and Cl at 1/2,1/2,1/2 so I would expect that one to be the one with a [111] direction. This doesn't show up in the errata pages I've found.

6. Feb 14, 2013 #5
    Nevermind. I took a long hard look at the 3D structures and it seems to be (mostly) correct.

7. Feb 18, 2013 #6

M@2

Exellent book. Especially 1953 year edition.

It has no subsequent ideas of Cooper pairing, preventing us of from understanding of HTS.

Anticipating words!!!
    Bloch theorem must be corrected!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Feb 18, 2013 #7

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Moderator's Note:

A discussion of BCS superconductivity theory has been moved from this thread. Please find them here:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4275186#post4275186

Kindly restrict comments in this thread to reviews of this specific textbook, and post discussion about other references on BCS in the other thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook