1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid State Best solid state physics textbook that can replace Kittel

1. Mar 17, 2016 #1
    Hello

I am having a really bad semester with solid state physics material, the book "introduction to solid state physics" by kittel is hard to follow and vague also it doesn't provide good explanations, always brief and fast. More than that my prof. is really good but have problems in explaining things.

We use kittel from ch.1 to ch.7. Is there any good replacements to kittel that have the same content "not distributed along the book, so that I can really.replace it"?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2016 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Ashcroft/Mermin Solid state physics is much more in depth and precise.

4. Mar 18, 2016 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think that if the OP is having problems with Kittel, Ashcroft/Mermin text might be an even bigger hurdle (especially the exercises).

I will recommend two Dover books by Walter Harrison. "Solid State Theory" and "Electronic Structure and Properties of Solids" were valuable resources to me when I started studying solid state physics. One of them (I forget which) has the best treatment of Boltzmann transport of any books that I've encountered.

Zz.

5. Mar 18, 2016 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

Funny, I had always problems with Harrison. But I have to add that Harrison is a very interesting book.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  6. Mar 20, 2016 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted