Introductory Astronomy or Astrophysics book

In summary, the conversation is about finding a book for someone who is interested in learning about astronomy/astrophysics but only has a basic understanding of the subject. The recommended books are "The Cosmic Perspective" by Bennett and "Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie, with "Foundations of Astrophysics" by Ryden and Peterson as an alternative. The conversation also mentions "Exploring Black Holes" by Taylor and Wheeler as a more specialized option. The subject of the class for which the book is needed is a BSc program in physics and astrophysics, with the students beginning astrophysics in the first year.
MidgetDwarf
Interested in learning about Astronomy/ Astrophysics. I do not know anything besides the planets, and apparently I learned today that Asteroids are rich in metals.??

I am looking for a book that is introductory, but is not to easy.

I have taken a course in freshman calculus based mechanics and EnM. My math knowledge consist of Multivariable Calculus, Intro ODE, and intro Linear Algebra.

Physics news on Phys.org
You would find 2 books to be useful as a beginner:

1. Bennett, The cosmic Perspective - this is an introductory text that with a minimum of physics and mathematics examines the principal astrophysical systems in the universe, provides an understanding of their properties and has a wealth of background information that you would not pick up in a standard physics course.

2. Carroll and Ostlie, Modern Astrophysics - there are 2 versions of this text, a 1-volume combined text, and a 2-Volume republication of the same material, divided into stellar astrophysics and galactic astrophysics. This text is at advanced undergraduate level and is more mathematical.

I recommend you use both texts alongside each other. A major obstacle to astrophysics, unless you have come through an undergraduate degree in astrophysics, is that the system and associated phenomena are completely unfamiliar to a standard physics graduate. That is what makes Bennett so useful, in spite of the paucity of its mathematical content.

There are very many more astrophysics books to choose from, all at a much more advanced level. I can give you the titles if you want them, but the above books are probably all you would want at the moment.

Although I like (and have on my shelf) both Bennet and Carroll and Ostlie, I also recommend "Foundations of Astrophysics" by Barbara Ryden and Bradley M. Peterson,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321595580/?tag=pfamazon01-20,

whch is almost at the level of Carroll and Ostlie, but which is maybe a little more readable.

Likes MarcusAgrippa
George Jones said:
Although I like (and have on my shelf) both Bennet and Carroll and Ostlie, I also recommend "Foundations of Astrophysics" by Barbara Ryden and Bradley M. Peterson,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321595580/?tag=pfamazon01-20,

whch is almost at the level of Carroll and Ostlie, but which is maybe a little more readable.

Do you have any other recommendations? I am looking for a book to use with an undergraduate class - freshman level - that is not as difficult as Carroll and Ostlie but more challenging than Bennett, from which I currently teach. The good books I know all appear to be out of print.

MarcusAgrippa said:
Do you have any other recommendations? I am looking for a book to use with an undergraduate class - freshman level - that is not as difficult as Carroll and Ostlie but more challenging than Bennett, from which I currently teach. The good books I know all appear to be out of print.

Sorry, I have several others books at the level of Bennett, but I don't know of any astronomy/astrophysics books between the levels of Bennet and Ryden and Peterson. There is the much more specialized "Exploring Black Holes" by Taylor and Wheeler, which requires freshman physics and single-variable calculus as inputs. I used this as the text for a course that I taught years ago. Time flies.

I am curious:

General undergrads? Science undergrads? Physics undergrads?

George Jones said:
Sorry, I have several others books at the level of Bennett, but I don't know of any astronomy/astrophysics books between the levels of Bennet and Ryden and Peterson. There is the much more specialized "Exploring Black Holes" by Taylor and Wheeler, which requires freshman physics and single-variable calculus as inputs. I used this as the text for a course that I taught years ago. Time flies.

I am curious:

General undergrads? Science undergrads? Physics undergrads?

BSc majoring in physics and astrophysics. They begin astrophysics in the first year. We use Bennett in the first semester and are struggling to find a text pitched at the correct level for the second semester.

1. What is the difference between astronomy and astrophysics?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and phenomena, while astrophysics is the application of physics to the study of these objects. Astronomy focuses more on the observation and description of these objects, while astrophysics seeks to understand the underlying physical principles that govern them.

2. What topics are typically covered in an introductory astronomy or astrophysics book?

Introductory astronomy or astrophysics books typically cover topics such as the history of astronomy, the solar system, stars and galaxies, and the universe. They may also delve into more advanced topics such as cosmology, black holes, and the search for extraterrestrial life.

3. Is any prior knowledge of physics or math required to understand an introductory astronomy or astrophysics book?

While a basic understanding of physics and math can be helpful, most introductory astronomy or astrophysics books are written for a general audience and do not require any prior knowledge. Any necessary concepts will be explained in the book.

4. Are there any recommended resources for further learning after reading an introductory astronomy or astrophysics book?

Yes, there are many online resources such as websites, podcasts, and videos that can provide further learning and exploration of the topics covered in an introductory astronomy or astrophysics book. Additionally, joining a local astronomy club or attending public lectures can also be helpful.

5. How has our understanding of the universe changed over time, and how is it reflected in introductory astronomy or astrophysics books?

Our understanding of the universe has evolved significantly over time, from ancient civilizations viewing the sky as a flat disc with the Earth at the center, to modern scientific discoveries such as the Big Bang theory. Introductory astronomy or astrophysics books often reflect these changes, with updated information and theories based on the latest research and discoveries.