Introductory books on quantum mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the interesting use of linear operators on Hilbert spaces in mathematics, specifically in the context of inner product spaces and their convergence. The conversation also touches on the application of these concepts in quantum mechanics, as mentioned in Ballentine's book. The individual expressing gratitude for the answers and stating their intention to explore the suggested tips concludes the conversation.
mvillagra
The math part seems really interesting too, it is mainly based on linear operators on hilbert spaces. But, it seems to me that it only uses inner product (pre-hilbert) spaces, then why these authors (and also paper authors) refers always to hilbert spaces?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mvillagra said:
The math part seems really interesting too, it is mainly based on linear operators on hilbert spaces. But, it seems to me that it only uses inner product (pre-hilbert) spaces, then why these authors (and also paper authors) refers always to hilbert spaces?

Convergence.

What does

1 = 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ...

mean?

It means that the sequence of partial sums converges to 1, i.e., has limit 1.

Much the same thing often is necessary in the state spaces of qauntum mechanical systems. See the third-last and second-last paragraphs on page 26 of Ballentine.

thank you very much for your answers, that was fast!

I will certaintly take a look at these tips!

mvillagra said:
thank you very much for your answers, that was fast!

I will certaintly take a look at these tips!

Welcome to Physics Forums mvillagra!

I split your post into two threads. The math/physics part remains here, and the book part has been moved to

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=309230

in the Science Book Discussion Forum.

Sorry for any confusion that this has caused.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles, such as electrons and photons. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding the fundamental principles of nature at a microscopic level.

2. Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of particles at the smallest scales, which has led to groundbreaking technologies such as transistors and lasers. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and quantum computing.

3. What are some key concepts in quantum mechanics?

Some key concepts in quantum mechanics include wave-particle duality, superposition, and entanglement. Wave-particle duality refers to the fact that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. Superposition is the idea that a particle can exist in multiple states at the same time. Entanglement is a phenomenon where two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even if they are separated by large distances.

4. Are there any introductory books on quantum mechanics for non-scientists?

Yes, there are several introductory books on quantum mechanics written for non-scientists. These books often use analogies and everyday examples to explain complex concepts in a more accessible way. Some popular titles include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene and "Quantum: A Guide for the Perplexed" by Jim Al-Khalili.

5. What mathematical background is needed to understand quantum mechanics?

A solid understanding of calculus and linear algebra is necessary to fully grasp the mathematical concepts in quantum mechanics. It is also helpful to have some basic knowledge of classical mechanics and electromagnetism. However, many introductory books on quantum mechanics provide a review of the necessary mathematical concepts within the text.