Introductory books on Star Formation

In summary, the person is looking for introductory books on Star Formation as they are interested in pursuing a research project in this field. They are seeking recommendations for books that are suitable for an undergraduate level and can be found in their university library.
HydrogenBurns
So as the title suggests, I'm looking for some introductory books on Star Formation. I have a rudementary idea of the concept from a module I took last year which I found really interesting. I'm looking to apply for a research scholarship next academic year in which I would undertake a research project and as Star Formation is the area in which I am most interested in, I would like to explore the possibilities of doing something with that field.

Basically if you have any recommendations of books to try that are of reasonable level for an undergraduate (I'm a second year student in Scotland. Nothing too extreme please) I'd be very appreciative. With any luck I can find them in my University library

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is star formation?

Star formation is the process by which dense regions of interstellar gas and dust collapse under their own gravity, forming a new star. This process involves the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy, resulting in the formation of a protostar.

2. What are some introductory books on star formation?

Some popular introductory books on star formation include "Star Formation in the Interstellar Medium" by Dieter Reimers, "The Formation of Stars" by Steven W. Stahler and Francesco Palla, and "Star Formation and Techniques in Astrophysics" by Lee Hartmann.

3. What are the key factors that influence star formation?

The key factors that influence star formation include the density and temperature of the interstellar medium, the presence of shock waves or turbulence, and the strength of magnetic fields. These factors can either promote or inhibit the collapse of gas clouds and the formation of stars.

4. How do scientists study star formation?

Scientists study star formation through various methods, including observations with telescopes and satellites, computer simulations, and laboratory experiments. These methods allow scientists to gather data on the physical processes involved in star formation and test different theories and models.

5. Why is studying star formation important?

Studying star formation is important because it helps us understand the origins of our own Sun and the formation of planetary systems. It also provides insights into the evolution of galaxies and the universe as a whole. Additionally, studying star formation can help us better understand the physical processes that shape our world and the potential for life on other planets.