Introductory Fluid Mechanics book.

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for a good introductory fluid mechanics book. Some suggestions include David Acheson's Elementary Fluid Dynamics, G K Batchelor's Introduction to Fluid Dynamics, and Prof. Fitzpatrick's lecture notes. Another recommendation is Fox and McDonald's Introduction to Fluid Mechanics by Philip J. Pritchard.
SherlockOhms
Could someone recommend me a good Introductory Fluid Mechanics book? It's only an introductory course so it doesn't have to be too comprehensive at all. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Brilliant. I'll have a look into both. Thanks.

Actually, it's a general Fluid Mechanics book that I'm interested in. Not exclusively dynamics, but some statics too. Anybody else have some suggestions?

Prof. Fitzpatrick at UT Austin has his lecture notes (really is a book!) on his teaching web page:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching.html

The book is at the uppder division undergrad level, and has an early chapter is on hydrostatics.

jason

Thanks. I'll have a look!

Since you are looking for general reading, I recommend Fox and McDonald's Introduction to fluid mechanics by Philip J.Pritchard.

I'll look into it. Thanks.

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) behave and interact with their surroundings. This includes the principles of fluid motion, forces acting on fluids, and the effects of fluid flow on objects.

2. Who is this book intended for?

This book is intended for students and professionals in the fields of engineering, physics, and other related sciences who have a basic understanding of calculus and physics.

3. What topics are covered in this book?

This introductory fluid mechanics book covers the fundamental principles such as fluid properties, fluid statics, fluid dynamics, Bernoulli's equation, and applications in various areas such as aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and hydraulics.

4. Is this book suitable for self-study?

Yes, this book can be used for self-study as it is designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of fluid mechanics through clear explanations, examples, and practice problems.

5. Are there any real-world applications included in this book?

Yes, this book includes numerous real-world examples and applications of fluid mechanics, such as the design of wind turbines, aircraft wings, and water pumps. These applications help to demonstrate the practical use of fluid mechanics principles in various industries and fields.