Introductory kinematics word problem

In summary, the question involves a competitor aiming to complete a 1500m wheelchair race in less than 4.0 minutes. After moving at a constant speed for 3.5 minutes, there were still 240m to go. To finish on time, the competitor needs an acceleration of 0.13m/s^2. This can be calculated using the equation a = 2(d-vt)/t^2, where d is the remaining distance, v is the constant speed, and t is the remaining time.
shaools

Homework Statement

A competitor is aiming to complete a 1500m wheel-chair race in less than 4.0 minutes. After moving at a constant speed for exactly 3.5 minutes, there were still 240m to go. What must his acceleration before the remaining distance if he were to finish the race on time?

Given:
d1= 1260m [forward]
d2= 240m [forward]
t1= 210s
t2= 30s

Required: v1, v2 possibly?, and a

Homework Equations

v1 = d/t
and d = v1*(t+a(t)^2)/2 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

v1=1260m/210s
v1=6m/s

d = v1*(t+a(t)^2)/2
a= (2d/t^2)-v1*t
a= (2*240m/30s^2) - 6m/s*30s
a= something horribly incorrect

the answer at the back of the book is 0.13m/s^2. I am guessing that I am not approaching the second part of the question correctly. i tried it again with an equation using v2, but I am still getting weird answers.

help please !

also, I am sorry i don't know how to use latex :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi shaools! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(don't bother about LaTeX for something like this … the SUB and SUP tags are fine, and they save a bit of server space also! :wink:)
shaools said:
d = v1*(t+a(t)^2)/2
a= (2d/t^2)-v1*t
a= (2*240m/30s^2) - 6m/s*30s

hmm … you're messy with brackets, which leads you to make mistakes

that middle line is wrong. :smile:

wow.

i managed to screw up the initial equation twice in that post. there's no way to edit posts is there?

i meant to post this equation for displacement and acceleration:

http://id.mind.net/~zona/mstm/physics/mechanics/kinematics/EquationsForAcceleratedMotion/Origins/Displacement/Image78.gif"

soo...

d = v1*t + (a*t^2)/2
a = 2d/(t^2) - v1*t

and then when i plug my values in, i get funky answers.
i think i might just be using the wrong equation, or i might be plugging in incorrect values. I am really not sure.

thank you for checking tho!

Last edited by a moderator:
shaools said:
a = 2d/(t^2) - v1*t

Nope … still wrong :redface:

Write it out step by step … don't try to do any of it in your head!

ah, bested by bedmas

lol let me attempt this once more...

a= [2(d - vt)]/ t^2 ?

a = [2(240m - 6m/s*30s)] / 30^2
a = 0.13m/s^2

yup :).

thank you mr. fish !

:tongue2: blubblelubbleglubblelubblephlrrrrrrp! :tongue2:

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are some common examples of introductory kinematics word problems?

Examples of introductory kinematics word problems include calculating an object's velocity, acceleration, and displacement given initial conditions such as time and distance.

3. How do you approach solving an introductory kinematics word problem?

To solve an introductory kinematics word problem, you should first identify the known and unknown variables and set up an appropriate equation using the kinematics formulas. Then, plug in the known values and solve for the unknown variable.

4. What are the key principles of kinematics?

The key principles of kinematics include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These quantities are related to each other through kinematics equations and can be used to describe the motion of an object.

5. How can I check if my solution to an introductory kinematics word problem is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging the values back into the original equation and ensuring that it satisfies the given conditions. Additionally, you can use dimensional analysis to check the units of your answer, as they should match the units of the given variables.